ix | mistrust

SHE COULDN'T STOP giggling after waking up in the morning. The warm, fuzzy feeling in her belly had intensified after she cradled him last night. He wanted to see if she was capable of singing lullabies.

Maybe he wasn't a monster.

Her anklets jingled as she hopped around the palace, feeding the swallows and pulling the tails of naughty squirrels. Her day was going happy.

Even if her marriage was build on a shaky ground, it was growing.

"And you have stopped missing us, it seems."

She ceased to play with her animals.

"Sisters?"

With a smile she gestured them to sit on two chairs, but their eyes were greedily drinking the magnificence of the palace.

"Gilded walls, fresh wine and lovely little creatures. The monster has given you it all," the older one scoffed.

"It seems he has been successful in fooling our sister," the younger taunted.

"He is kind to me. He has always loved me." Psyche defended her unseen husband.

"And pray tell me how ugly his face is? I wonder how your child will look."

Psyche regretted inviting them here. But a part of her heart was already pricked. Doubts circled in her mind.

"Will he be as cruel and nasty as his father?"

Psyche knitted her brows into a dissatisfied line, though her timid gaze conveyed a deeper emotion.

"What? We know you are pregnant. Now tell us, did he hurt you?"

"Never."

"Never?"

She shook her head. "Not even shouted."

The sisters twisted their lips. "I suppose that's not needed when he must have such a gruesome face and haunting eyes."

Psyche turned her back to them.

"What are you hiding, Psyche? Oh wait, do you find him handsome?"

"It doesn't matter."

They came and poked her arms. "Why? Does he remind you of some old Father?"

"Stop it!" Psyche covered her ears. "He shall remain good in my eyes irrespective of-"

She bit her lips.

"Pour it out, Psyche."

The sisters caressed her shoulders, breathing on her necknook.

"We might be ashamed of you but humanity is left in us. We cannot see you suffer at the hands of a monster. What promise has he made you keep?"

"I haven't seen him ever."

Her sisters gasped.