xi | redeem

PSYCHE REACHED THE temple of Ceres while roaming through the lands. There, upon finding the offerings made to the gods, grains and agricultural gifts all jumbled and in a mess, she began arranging them in proper piles and baskets, ensuring that the gods were well respected. This act of hers blessed her with the sight of Ceres herself.

But the Goddess just gave Psyche her blessings and wished her well, as to directly help her would mean going against another fellow Goddess, the one who had announced Psyche as her unfortunate rival.

Even Hera refused to help her with a heavy heart. Yet she was kind enough to tell Psyche where the abode of Aphrodite was on Psyche's request.

****

Psyche didn't dare to match her gaze with the sharp green orbs of Aphrodite. She sat at the feet of the Goddess.

Determined, she asked Aphrodite to test her.

"You claim to not have ever disrespected me?"

"No, Mother."

She glared at Psyche.

"You had tried to kill my son!"

"No!" She shrieked. Bile rose to her throat, bitter taste numbing her tongue. Psyche lowered her head as Aphrodite gritted her teeth.

"I will let you see my son, but. . ."

"But?"

Aphrodite's face darkened.

"I will first make you redeem."