Five

Noelle

As I sit in the bathtub surrounded by mounds of bubbles, all I can think about is what happened between me and Remi in the theater the other day. I did not see that coming, and I really don't think he did either. Uncle Corbin wouldn't be okay with the two of us...canoodling, as my mother would have said. But what did my uncle expect to happen when he has someone like Remi watching over me day and night?

Remi was so warm and sweet, and it really had been so long since I'd been touched, so long since I've felt something, and that's what I needed right then.

I've been in the tub for over an hour, and my fingers are pruning, but I don't make any move to get out. Instead, I slide further into the water, inhaling the scent of lavender and vanilla. My thoughts turn once again to the way Remi's lips felt on mine; how much he wanted me. My skin tightens over my bones and the throb between my legs intensifies. Taking a deep breath, I slide my hand down my stomach.

"Noelle, are you okay?" The door to the bathroom bursts open, and Asher barrels through, his green eyes wild with alarm.

All the blood rushes to my cheeks and I cover my chest as I sit up. "My God, Asher, I can't believe I'm asking you this again, but what the hell?"

His nostrils flare, and full lips part as he whirls around, facing the door. "S—Sorry, fuck, I'm sorry. It's just, you're late to dinner, and you weren't answering your phone or the door to your room, and I thought something had happened to you."

I shift in the tub to make sure none of my parts are showing. "Jesus, you guys have to stop worrying so much! What did you think happened; I fell in the fucking toilet?"

He runs his hand over the back of his neck. "I don't know. I honestly didn't expect to find you in here. I was just covering all the bases. Fuck my life." Asher shifts from side to side, and I swear he pulls on the front of his slacks. "Do you need help with anything?"

"Like what, scrubbing my back? No, Asher! I think I have a bath under control."

"Understood," he says, frozen in place.

My eyes widen, and I point toward the door. "You can leave now."

"Yep. I'm leaving." He fumbles with the door and hurries out.

I slide all the way under the water and let out a frustrated groan. When I am sure he's out of my room altogether, I get out of the tub, wrap a towel around myself and hurry to the closet to dress for dinner.

A weird thing I've picked up on since I got here—well, there's been plenty of weird things—is that everyone dresses up for dinner. Like, suit and tie kind of dressing up. Avery wears a different adorable dress every day, and I make a mental note to take her up on the clothes swap.

Which is fine. I enjoy dressing up. It's just bizarre. Everything here is so scheduled, so...ritualistic.

I zip up the electric blue dress I found in the closet, slip my feet into a pair of black heels, and don't even bother with makeup. Apparently, I'm late.

When I enter the dining room, Corbin isn't at the head of the table. It's just the four guys, Avery, and me.

Perfect. We need to have a conversation.

I slide into my seat next to Corbin's empty one and mumble an apology for being late. Asher avoids my eyes, but Remi's gaze meets mine from across the table. I bite the inside of my cheek and give him a wink. His cheeks flush, and I am enjoying the flirtation when Elijah's voice cuts through the silence.

"Finally, we can eat."

Utensils move and napkins are placed to laps, and I glare at him.

"You didn't have to wait for me, you know."