Thirty-Four

Noelle

"I want to do it."

My uncle looks up at me from over his reading glasses and raises an eyebrow. He doesn't need to ask me what I'm talking about; he's been waiting for this decision since yesterday.

"Are you sure? I don't want you to feel like you have to do anything you aren't ready for."

I sigh and flop down on a chair in front of his desk. "I'll never be ready to meet the man who would've just as soon as killed me than have me exist on the same planet as him." I don't mention the fact that he is also the majority of the reason my mate won't have anything to do with me; I suspect Corbin already knows that anyway.

Corbin opens his mouth to answer, but a knock interrupts him. At his permission to enter, all four of my guards come strolling in, every one of them looking like fucking heaven on earth. Remi leans down and kisses the top of my head, Killian winks at me and squeezes my shoulder as he passes, Asher gives me a peck on the lips, and Elijah acknowledges me with a curt nod.

The four of them settle in, and Asher and Remi practically fight over the seat next to me. Asher wins, and Remi flings himself down onto the loveseat next to Killian. Elijah leans against the doorway, his gaze darting to me and away every time we lock eyes. It is a game of cat and mouse between us, and I'm not sure who is really chasing who.

Corbin waits until everyone is settled to speak. "Noelle was just telling me what she decided about meeting with Dante."

All eight of their eyes snap to me and I shift under their attention.

"Well, are you going to tell us?" Remi asks after a few beats of uncomfortable silence.

I swallow hard and look at him, twisting my lips to the side before saying, "I'm going to do it."

Remi raises his eyebrows and exchanges a glance with Killian, who shrugs one shoulder. "It's her decision," Killian says, and his quick smile tells me he supports my choice.

I return his grin and Asher reaches over to squeeze my hand. "You're doing the right thing, love."

"Thank you. You're the one who convinced me," I say, loud enough for Elijah to hear every word. As petty as it is, I want him to hate that I ignored his opinion.

When I glance up at my mate, he is having trouble hiding his scowl. A shock of happiness flows through my veins, and I'm both victorious and vindictive.

Feeling both brave and ready to pick a fight, I cock my head to the side. "Do you have something to say, Elijah?" I ask in the sweetest, fakest voice possible.

"Nothing good will come from this." He turns his attention to my uncle. "You know the minute that he realizes whose child she is, he will want her dead."

"Perhaps, but I don't think he will make that decision in front of his court. We will up security and watch over Noelle until the shift of power is complete. Once she is queen, there is nothing he can do."

Queen. That word sends the strangest mix of terror and exhilaration through me.

I glance at Elijah from the corner of my eye. He could be my king. But that's not enough for him. Nothing besides revenge will be enough for him.

"I've made up my mind," I say, obstinance creeping into my tone. "I'm going."

Elijah clenches his teeth and his jaw ticks. "Fine, but I'm going with you."

I bark a laugh and cross one leg over the other, shaking my head. "I don't want you there. Literally, anyone else can go. Not you."

The hurt that crosses his face sends a shot of guilt through me, but I stand my ground. He hurt me worse than I could ever hurt him when he rejected me and treated our bond like it was nothing.