Twelve

Noelle

For the past two days, I've spent a lot of time alone. Corbin promised me that wouldn't be the case, and while the guys are still around because they're protecting me, I am really fucking lonely.

I've binged an entire series on Netflix, read two books, written a paper for AP English, and given myself a manicure and pedicure. But I am dying to be alone with Remi. I hated how Elijah split us up on the plane, and I haven't had a moment with him since.

Today is my eighteenth birthday, and I am afraid I am about to spend it alone. The sun flashed through my blinds early this morning, and I've been awake for the past couple hours just lying in bed and staring at the ceiling. I texted Remi to see if he would come up to my room, but I got a sorry, baby, I'm a little busy right now in return.

Did the guys even remember that it was my birthday? Probably not...Corbin may have forgotten to remind them. Elijah was in the room when I mentioned it, but if I'm counting on him to acknowledge it...I snort and sit up, stretching my arms over my head. I better not hold my breath.

I bite my lip and fight the tears springing to my eyes. My mom used to always make my birthdays so special. She'd wake me up with breakfast in bed—chocolate chip banana pancakes—and snuggle with me while we watched Dirty Dancing. That had been my favorite movie since I was like eight, and this is the first time I haven't watched it on my birthday since.

And that was just the morning. She'd get me a gift that never failed to make me smile—always something she knew I'd been wanting—took me to eat at whatever restaurant was my favorite at the moment, and we'd end the night with a brownie á la mode.

But today, on the birthday that is my biggest milestone to date, I am lying alone in a bed made for five.

Sighing, I throw off the covers and shuffle into the bathroom, pulling my wild hair into one chunky French braid that dangles over my shoulder before getting dressed in cutoffs and an off the shoulder t-shirt.

Pulling out my phone, I text Killian. Surely he'll come hang out with me.

The dull ache from the other day returns as I remember Killian pressed against my back, showing me how to throw the hatchet. He'd wanted me, that much was clear. And while Killian had been nothing but nice to me, I hadn't, before then, gotten the feeling he found me attractive. And the more time I spent with him, the more I liked him.

Killian, do you want to hang out with me today? I'd like to go throw some more axes or maybe we can just watch a movie.

I'd love to but...The three dots blink at the bottom of the text screen, and I fight the urge to throw my phone. I'm curious what can be more important than hanging out with me today. These weaklings need my rippling muscles and height that make the ladies swoon.

With a sigh, I text my next contact—Asher.

I don't suppose you are free to hang out.

Sorry, love. I'm in the middle of something.

I stare at my phone and my thumb hovers over Elijah's contact. With a grunt, I shove my phone in my back pocket. I'm not that desperate.

With no other choice but to face the day alone, I grab a blanket off the lounger in my room and head downstairs. I snatch a couple of snacks from the kitchen cupboards and pack a small wicker basket I find in the pantry. I might as well get used to spending some birthdays alone.

Stepping out of the kitchen, I make my way to the front door.

"Where are you going?"

I spin around to find Elijah leaning against the banister. The black t-shirt he wears clings to his chest and biceps and his muscular legs are on display in gray shorts. I take a moment to admire the forest scene tattooed on the side of his calf before drawing my gaze up his body. He has one arm propped on the railing and his hair hidden under the backward snapback on his head. And his breathtaking blue eyes are trained on me.