Forty-Nine

Elijah

If Killian hadn't been there to point out my misstep with the way I handled Noelle, I think I probably would have been too blind to see it. I've never been in an actual relationship before, never needed to connect with anyone past the physical. And now that I have this deep, genuine bond with Noelle, I am learning what it really means to love someone. And it's definitely not always about tough love, which is all I was willing to give her a few minutes ago.

I creak open the kitchen door and find her sitting at the island, a glass of water clutched in her hands. She's staring at the counter and only looks up when I clear my throat and say, "Hey, princess."

Noelle's eyes are still aglow with annoyance, and she hops off the stool, taking her water with her. "Elijah, please. I don't want to talk to you right now. You hurt my feelings, and you clearly don't understand why."

I lean against the counter and cross my arms, holding myself back from invading the space she is requesting. She bypasses me for the sink and gulps down the water. I wait for her to place the glass in the sink and face me again.

"What?"

I blanch at her clipped tone and clear my throat. "I understand why you are upset. I treated you like a sentinel and not like my mate. Even more important than that, I let my fear get the better of me. We're running out of time and that scares the shit out of me."

Her expression softens, and she draws her bottom lip between her teeth. "I'm scared too. But all I wanted was for you to be proud of me. I know I don't know what I'm doing, and I know I have a long way to go, but all I ever want is for you to look at me and be proud that I'm your mate. And I just didn't feel that from you today," she murmurs, inching closer to me.

"Are you kidding me, Noelle!" She lifts her brow and I rein in my frustration. "I'm sorry. I honestly don't understand how you can you think for one second that you don't make me proud? I know I'm not always good at giving praise when it's due, but you...you are the person I'm the proudest of. I'm proud to have you by my side. I'm proud of the way you are overcoming your grief. I'm proud of how you have grown as a lycan. But above all that, I'm proud you are mine."

Noelle's eyes are glistening with unshed tears, and she takes another step toward me, sliding her palm down my chest and around my hip. "I know. I'm sorry I doubted you. I guess I just needed to hear it, that's all. Thank you...for saying it. For being here. For teaching me all this stuff. I wouldn't want to do this without you."

I cup her cheeks and look her in the eyes. "I'm sorry I made you feel like your efforts weren't enough. I never want to be the cause of your self-doubt. I will do better."

Noelle's lips lift into a smile, and she lifts a hand to my face and runs her thumb over the seam of my mouth. "If this is the worst thing you do, I think I'm a pretty fucking lucky girl," she says, dragging my bottom lip down and letting it bounce back when it hits her thumbnail.

"I'm glad you feel that way because I want you to go back out there and work on pulling the tether. And this time, I will show you my support." I lean in and brush her lips with mine. "Please."

She nips my bottom lip with her teeth and says, "Since you asked nicely, okay. But...what are we going to do afterward?"

"It depends on how well you do. I'm sure I can find a way to properly reward you for your efforts. But first, you have to quit stalling and get to work, princess."

Noelle bumps me with her hip and grabs my hand, pulling me back outside. "Fine. I want to try something."

When we get back to Killian and Remi, they are both looking at me with smug expressions on their faces.