{22} i fucking love you, you absolute moron

BEING BACK INSIDE THE FARMHOUSE made the last of the tension that had clung to Peter's muscles, even during the long car ride, disappear immediately.

Smells of coffee and dog assaulted his senses, joined by a soft ticking in the background- some clock- but the rhythmic sound soothed Peter, paired with the steady heartbeats of the people around him. He leaned further into Harley who had maintained his strong grip on Peter's waist. The touch was grounding and warm and the teenager wanted nothing more than to curl around Harley and not move for a week or two- the thought was nice, even if it was unlikely to happen anytime soon.

"Clint had me set up a room for you." Barney announced. "It's got the name 'Peter' on the door."

Peter's face scrunched in confusion at why the archer would go to all the trouble before the spreading warmth in his chest overtook the myriad of questions. Clint Barton- as distrustful as they come- had made him a room in the place that he had deemed a safe space from the threats in the rest of the world. He had wanted Peter to be a part of it. Permanently. He went speechless and stared blankly at Barney who shifted as the lack of response weighed in the room.

"Kid you're about to keel over." Barney spoke again, effectively snapping Peter from his shocked reverie. "Get some sleep for the love of god. I've got this." Slowly, Peter nodded as he processed the order before he was hauled away by Harley and into the rest of the farmhouse, still in a daze at the idea of being included in Barton's extra private life.

The two teens disappeared round the corner and Barney glanced at Wanda.

He was hesitant but no longer with his finger on the trigger of his gun which he'd dropped onto the coffee table upon entering the farmhouse again. Despite no longer being wary of the teenager, he was still unsure of where to begin a conversation with the young woman; Barney was pretty sure Clint hadn't wanted them to meet this way, or at all, but life didn't always work out for the Barton family the way that they wanted it to. He watched her eyes drift around the room, taking in the coffee cups, the worn-down record player and the pile of guns with the chewed-up dog toy next to them.

Lucky was around the place somewhere, probably sniffing around Peter and Harley since he was nowhere in sight. Wanda's gaze eventually settled on the overflowing mantel piece. There was a range of photos, some in actual frames and others just propped up haphazardly.

A few were taken before the brothers got caught up in organizations like Shield or Hydra, and some of them featured close friends who probably didn't have the faintest idea that their photo was sitting on Clint's mantel piece. There was one, settled in the middle of Natasha with her middle finger directed at the camera with a sleeping Peter Parker passed out in her lap- but Barney knew that wasn't the photo that had caught Wanda's attention though.

"Why do you have this?" She questioned, more confused than creeped out.

Barney shuffled up behind her and caught a glimpse of the photo too. It was of her and Pietro, just before the experiment at Hydra- it was probably taken through a security camera, but they both looked happy and carefree. Maybe that fact was why Clint had snagged it after the battle of Sokovia, mused Barney thoughtfully.

"Clint found it." He explained, then he paused. "He never wanted to forget the kid who saved him."

She took in a long breath, suddenly feeling choked up at the reminder of her brother. Wanda never wanted to forget Pietro and she did everything she could so that he wouldn't just become another casualty of Sokovia. Another nameless face in the sea of the dead or an unvisited grave- it was comforting to know someone else was trying just as hard to keep his memory alive.

"I don't know what you went through- or are going through." Barney announced, huffing out a breath at his wording as the witch turned to face him- he wasn't good with the emotional stuff. "Because your brother saved mine when I wasn't up to the task, and it could have been Clint that day."