{39} we'll deal with it together

WHEN THEY FINALLY TOUCHED DOWN BEHIND THE TREELINE, there was a collective sigh of relief. The tension that had been mounting since they began the long flight finally seemed to dissipate, giving them room to breathe as they all turned expectantly to Natasha.

The woman looked around at the assembled heroes for a moment before determining she had their full attention. "The base isn't heavily guarded. Cain has too much faith in his ability to pick an untraceable base, and he hasn't done any recruiting in case he alerted Shield to his efforts of rebuilding Hydra." Tony scoffed at the obvious irony as Natasha then moved to look at Steve- he had always been the better strategist out of the team.

So, despite wanting to lead the mission she reluctantly relinquished control and sat down stiffly beside the billionaire and Harley; Steve nodded to her gratefully.

"Our plan of attack should be an ambush." Steve announced, "If there's only a few guards they'll be spread out. If we take them out all at once, we'll stand a better chance." There was a moment of silence before Wanda shifted in her seat, catching Steve's attention.

"So that means we need them together. A diversion so we can attack." She concluded, eyes flicking to Harley for confirmation; he jerked his chin in approval, face set in determination.

Thor raised an eyebrow. "But who will go in first?"

No one spoke, glancing at one another curiously- there was a level of danger when sending someone into hostile territory alone. And this time it was only heightened by the lack of specifics on the number of enemies and the lack of familiarity with the base itself; there were a lot of variables unaccounted for. "It can't be the kids-" Harley and Wanda glowered in unison when Tony spoke up, not even looking remotely unapologetic for the comment, "- Bruce is staying here in case of a code green. Our heavy hitters; Steve, Thor and me should hang back. That leaves-"

"Me and Vision." Natasha concluded, her face giving none of her thoughts on the plan away.

Vision didn't look alarmed or wary of the conclusion, mostly thoughtful. It was the most logical solution, even he could see that as he looked at the assassin sitting across from him. She met his eyes, once again struck by their innocence before her gaze shifted back to Steve with a raised eyebrow.

"It's your plan. You call the shots, Cap."

In sync, everyone turned to look back at Steve who frowned a little while he deliberated silently, focus switching between the woman and the synthezoid intermittently. "Both of you will go." He concluded after a few moments of silence. "Natasha will lead because she has the most experience and Vision will serve as your back up." He looked between the duo who nodded their approval at the plan and their roles in it. "You'll bring the guards to the main area where the rest of the team will be on standby. Once you give the signal on the comm system we'll launch an attack while Wanda and Natasha sneak back out and search for Barton and Parker."

Murmurs of agreement rose from the collected group. "Five minutes." Steve ordered.

Unconsciously, the avengers paired off at the dismissal. Thor turned his attention to Bruce, speaking in low tones as the scientist frowned deeply; the god then took Bruce's hand and simply held it as they lapsed into silence. Beside them a few feet away stood Wanda with Vision- they looked as though they were arguing until Wanda conceded something and she handed over the bracelet Peter had gifted her for her birthday. She gave the android a small smile while he stared at the accessory in wonder. Across the room stood Tony and Harley, whispering between themselves. It appeared as though Tony was giving the teenager a lecture while Harley mumbled half-hearted agreements in the right areas in a lazy attempt to appease the mechanic.

Steve turned to Natasha as she checked her weaponry in silence.

"How you feeling?" He asked, tentatively taking the open seat beside her. She barely looked up from her task as she let out a short breath and clenched her jaw.

"I'm fine."

Steve frowned. "Are you-"

"Ask me again and I'll shoot you." Nat snapped, throwing him a stern look.

Steve looked appropriately chastised and the woman took pity on him so she huffed out a small breath. "I don't know what we're going to find in there." She looked out at her teammates as Tony put on Harley's helmet and checked over his armour. "Or if they'll even be there."

Uncertainty bloomed in Natasha's chest as she for once doubted her research, her abilities. Clint and Peter had been taken with apparent ease and she had been left to follow the bread crumb trail- always a step behind Hydra, behind Cain. Natasha just hoped for once she was on time. "Whatever we find, whether it's them or not- we'll deal with it together. As a team." Steve's voice was quiet and soft as he stared intently into her features. "But we can't find them if we stay here."

Natasha's lip quirked as she nudged his shoulder with her own, "Aye, aye Captain." Steve rolled his eyes and got to his feet; the team's conversations stopped as he rose back to his feet.

"Let's go." He ordered, lifting his shield. Natasha drew in a long breath. 

A/N

Love a good planning session. Also Vision is underrated- I love him.

Anywho! Let me know of any spelling mistakes! xoxo.