{41} a bigger welcoming committee

SOUNDS OF GUNFIRE RANG IN NATASHA'S EARS as her and Vision raced to the main area- she gripped her gun as they rounded the corner and Vision flew off to join Thor and Tony in the air.

For a moment, she hovered in the doorway and a foreboding feeling washed over her as she drew in a sharp breath and ran out into the line of fire. A few stray bullets got close but the woman was quick enough to dodge and sent a few of her own back with an aim that had been perfected through years or training and experience. Part of Natasha knew that it was now or never- that the avengers wouldn't be able to launch another surprise attack or get lucky on the location because of a tracker.

She skidded to a stop beside Steve who blocked a barrage of bullets with his shield before throwing it across the room, incapacitating their attacker.

"Wanda, come in." Natasha ordered into her comm set as she shot over Steve's shield.

There were a few muffled sounds and a grunt of effort before a familiar flare of red caught the assassin's attention out the corner of her eye. Instinctively she looked over her shoulder to see the teen throwing a Hydra agent into the air- they were caught by Vision when he flew past with a practiced ease. Wanda panted as she locked eyes with Nat across the room and pressed a hand to her comm.

"Where do we look first-?"

The question was broken off and drowned out as there was a low and deep boom that shook the walls of the base before they collapsed inwards. A sudden scream tore from Wanda's throat as the force from the explosion sent her hurtling across the room. "Wanda!" Yelled Steve, helpless on the ground as he watched- Harley dropped into her path before anyone else could and roughly caught her body in his arms; they both jolted backwards and continued to plummet to the floor wrapped around the other, barely manging a softer landing as they hit the ground.

A breath escaped Natasha when she ran over to them, leaving Steve to fend off Hydra soldiers that were taking advantage of everyone's distraction.

Immediately Tony dropped down next to her when she reached both of the teens. He crouched beside them in the suit and the face plate lifted to reveal his terrified expression; Natasha's heart ached as he forced out a gentle, "Harley? Wanda?" and pulled the girl from Harley's arms.

There was a soft groan from her and her face contorted into pain before she settled, limp against the billionaire's chest instead. "Friday scan them." He ordered, voice shaking slightly.

Despite knowing that she was running out of time Natasha couldn't walk away from the heart-wrenching sight of Tony crouched beside two kids, cradling Wanda to him while his spare hand clutched at Harley's armoured arm protectively. "Miss Maximoff has two broken ribs, a dislocated shoulder and a head injury. Mr Keener has a mild concussion and multiple bruises. They'll need medical attention, but they'll live boss."

Natasha pretended not to hear Tony's, "Oh thank god." and the way his voice cracked and how he blinked back a few tears of sheer relief at not having killed two of his kids.

She went to speak, to offer some kind of comfort when a new voice cut off Natasha's- she froze at the sound instinctively. "The mighty avengers. If I had known you were coming, I would have prepared a bigger welcoming committee." Her jaw clenched irritably at the comment while she turned around slowly, her eyes drifting to find Cain's as he stood on a high walkway a few metres in the air. A large chunk was missing from the explosion, creating a jagged metal plank. It left a pile of sharp metal that glinted dangerously below.

Nat's eyes flickered to see Clint on his knees looking battered and bruised but thankfully still breathing. A small sliver of calmness managed to work its way through her veins before her eyes rested on Peter's blank expression. He stood slightly behind Cain, silent and unmoving.

Despite the lack of response and conflict still raging below him, Cain continued.

"For such bad manners, I think you deserve to learn a lesson." He ground out, rage sparking in his eyes as he pulled out a gun from his waist band, casually checking the bullets like it was a mundane thing to do. Adrenaline pulsed through the redhead and Natasha moved to run forwards when Cain's eyes snapped back to hers, as if sensing her movement across the room. "Now Miss Romanoff. No intervening." At his words, machinery emerged from the walls and a spray of bullets forced the assassin to drop behind a piece of debris and curl in on herself to avoid being hit.

Panting, Nat pressed her fingers to the comm set. "Can anyone reach Barton?" She demanded, barely restricting her panic. There was no response.

Carefully, she peeked out from her hiding place for a few seconds; Steve was being swarmed on the ground by Hydra agents as Thor joined him, waving Mjolnir. Vision was still in the air, struggling to dodge bullets and find the source of the machinery simultaneously- Tony shot off to help the android, leaving behind a barely-awake Harley to coax Wanda back into consciousness behind a collapsed concrete wall.

Natasha swallowed thickly and ducked back behind her hiding spot, readying to do something- she just didn't know what exactly, except that she couldn't let Clint die. 

A/N

So close!! Also Natasha being scared for Clint is peak, like I just love my scary assassins so much. My murder children. <3

Anywho! Let me know of any spelling mistakes! xoxo.