{44} you have to let him go. now or never.

"IS HE-" HARLEY CUT HIMSELF OFF, UNABLE TO FNISH THE SENTENCE.

He was stood over Natasha's shoulder, eyes trained on Peter's pale face as he clutched his suit's helmet in both hands in an attempt to stop their shaking; his knuckles were white.

Part of Harley dreaded the answer. He had been angry at Peter for leaving them behind after promising he wouldn't back at the apartment building. But now the anger seemed to dissipate instantly when his eyes settled on his boyfriend who was limp on the floor with blood clinging to his clothes and a rebar pole through his abdomen. Now he just felt terrified that he was going to lose him after only just getting him back.

"No." Whispered Natasha; a deep, shuddering breath passed her lips. Harley felt a little less sick.

There was a beat of silence before Tony appeared in the woman's peripheral, almost hesitantly. Some of the others crept forwards, wary.

"We need to move him." Tony announced, voice rough as though he was barely holding back his emotions. He crouched down beside Peter so he was eye level with the assassin. When he met her eyes, she didn't move away immediately so he leaned in close so that only Natasha could hear him speak despite the enhanced hearing around him. "Nat you have to let him go. It's now or never." He was almost pleading with her, tone gentle but desperate. Tony's hands shook as he covered Natasha's with his own, uncurling her fingers from where they had been intertwined with Peter's- she didn't resist his action and Tony took that as a good sign.

"You have to let me take him." He murmured.

Natasha blinked a few times while she watched the small rise and fall of Peter's chest; she pulled her hands into her lap and nodded once. The woman hated the way the cold seemed to cling to her fingertips so she clasped her hands together until they ached from the tight grip.

A conversation that she wasn't privy to was spoken over her head, but she paid it no mind and instead continued to stare at Peter's pale face when Wanda suddenly appeared beside him.

Tendrils of magic danced around her fingers as her eyes glowed the same blood red colour, her attention solely focussed on Peter. Lightly, she pressed her fingertips against his temples and her eyes fluttered shut for a moment. The protective urge to push the young girl away rose in Natasha's chest before she stomped it down angrily, forcing away her distrust for Wanda's powers- Peter trusted them and Natasha would never try to convince him otherwise, even if she didn't agree or understand.

As Wanda lulled Peter into a deeper sleep, Vision appeared.

He offered a head nod to Nat out of courtesy before using the stone to phase Peter's body through the rebar pole in his abdomen, reducing the boy's pain as they freed him. Natasha allowed Steve- who had appeared beside her silently as well- to pull her to her feet and away from the working group.

"He's going to be okay." He promised.

She didn't react to his comforting words, knowing that they were empty because no one could promise such a thing. Instead, she chose to shift her attention to Clint who was now stood a bit away, swaying on his feet and watching Peter being bundled into Tony's arms.

Knowing the two agents would need a moment, Steve stepped away from the duo.

Natasha shuffled closer and her face twisted into sympathy, "What happened?"

Clint winced at the comment as she stopped in front of him, her hand reaching out and clasping his chin carefully but still firm. She tilted his head around to get a closer look at the damage. "Was it Cain?" She demanded, already beginning to seethe and thank whatever higher beings there were that he was now splattered on the ground behind them- she was surprised when Clint shook his head no at her assumption, pulling his chin free. He looked drained.

"It was Peter." He admitted, eyes trailing to Tony who took off to the quinjet.

Following behind dutifully was Vision, leaving Wanda to turn to Harley. There was a moment where they exchanged a low conversation and she embraced the teen with one arm, the other clasped closely to her chest. Steve moved towards Thor who looked sombre and grave.

"They got in his head, Nat." Clint confessed, guilt and anger dripping from the words as his jaw clenched and unclenched repeatedly. "They got into our kid's head and I couldn't stop them." Natasha huffed out a slight breath and pull him into a sudden hug. His hands trembled as they curled into her suit, practically crushing her against him as he held on tight, afraid to let go even for a moment in case he'd be ripped from her again.

Natasha's grip was fierce and just as bad, although still mindful of his injuries.

The pair had been away from one another for what had felt like years but had only been in reality a few days; they'd been apart longer for missions. But it was different this time. Abrupt. Pair that with the guilt and fear of losing Peter that seemed ingrained in their bones- seeing one another and having Peter back with them, felt like a breath of much needed air after being buried alive.

Eventually, they pulled apart but still stood shoulder to shoulder.

"Tony and Bruce have stabilised Peter on the jet, we should leave." Announced Steve, looking around at the remaining avengers. They all nodded and began heading back to where the quinjet had been landed and efficiently cloaked. Wanda, who's hand was firmly interlocked with Harley's, dropped back to walk on Clint's other side while Natasha took up an immovable residency on his other.

She offered him a smile, her eyes expressing her relief at seeing him alive. "Good to see you too kid." He mumbled, slinging a careful arm over her shoulder as they left the base. 

A/N

Bless them all * sobs *

Harley's inability to actually voice his questions haunts me my dudes. And Clint being lowkey heartbroken about not having stopped Cain, hurteths.

Anywho! Let me know of any spelling mistakes! xoxo.