𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄 - 𝐌𝐎𝐎𝐍 𝐋𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐆

"OKAY, NOBODY make a big deal about it, but I just broke up with Dylan," Haley said as she walked into the kitchen where her family and Athena were.

"Oh, my gosh. Are you okay, honey?" Claire asked her.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just -- I need to date someone who has a clue, instead of an idiot who bangs his head every time he rides his bike out of his garage -- every time!"

"I'm sorry, honey."

Athena couldn't help but let a smile appear on her face. Maybe it was finally her chance. She had been waiting for this moment from the first day Haley and Dylan started dating. Athena always wanted to be happy for Haley's relationship but every time she saw the two together, she just felt like she was drowning in the sadness that washed over her.

"I'm sorry for both of you," Phil spoke up. "I'll have to text him later."

"I don't even have Dylan's number," Athena said, looking at Phil weird as Haley settled into the seat next to her. Athena turned in her seat to fully face Haley. "So, no more Dylan?"

"No more Dylan," She smiled back at her. "Now I have more time for my best friend."

Right. Best friend. That's what they were, just friends, nothing more.

"Are you okay?" Haley asked, seeing Athena's spaced out look.

"Yeah. I'm fine." She forced a smile onto her face to put Haley at ease.

☺︎

"Hey, Mom?" Athena walked into the kitchen where Liana Gray sat, reading a magazine.

"What's up, sweetheart?" Liana asked, observing her daughters nervous attitude.

"Can I tell you something?" She nodded. "I think I'm gay."

"Oh," She said before a smile graced her lips. "Thank you for telling me. I'm proud of you and I love you."

Liana held out her arms and allowed her daughter to fall into them. Her hand rubbed circles on her back as she felt Athena's tears hit her shirt.

Athena felt so relieved and proud of herself. She almost vomited just walking into the kitchen but she was so relieved that her mom was so accepting. Athena felt so lucky to have her mom in her life.

☺︎

𝐀𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐚

"I'm gonna tell Haley I like her."

☺︎

Athena took a deep breath before entering Haley's room. Haley looked up from her laptop and smiled at the sight of her best friend.

"Hey," Athena breathed out.

"Hey," Haley smiled. "You will not believe the day I've had."

"Hit me."

"Well, first off, Dylan and I got back together --"

Athena's mind had automatically blocked out anything that was said after that. They were back together... she could feel her heart shatter in her chest. She once again felt herself drowning in the sadness that overtook her body.

very short chapter and not my best work but it took forever to find an episode i felt good about writing but here's some "angst" for y'all also this is the first time we've heard athena say she was gay. also i think first time we've even seen one of athena's parents because i have absolutely zero plans for them i stg