𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 - 𝐁𝐀𝐁𝐘 𝐎𝐍 𝐁𝐎𝐀𝐑𝐃

"We're back!" Claire called as she walked into the house with Alex. "We got Alex the cutest prom dress. Show your dad."

"Well, I don't like how far down the zipper goes, but on the plus side, it looks water resistant," Phil said when Alex showed him the garment bag.

"I can't believe Haley's not going to the prom but Alex is," Luke said as Athena and Haley walked into the room.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Alex asked her brother.

"I can't believe I'm going to prom alone," Athena said, raising an eyebrow at her girlfriend. Haley just shrugged.

"I know I keep saying it, Haley, but you should be going," Phil told his oldest daughter. "It's a major moment in a teenagers life, and you're missing it."

"Proms are lame. It's just an excuse for dressed up dorks to ride in limos and hump each other," Haley said.

"Hey," Athena frowned.

"Not you, honey."

"Okay. Now I don't like the idea of Alex going," Phil said.

"Sweetie, I think we're fine," Claire said, her voice dipping into a whisper. "It's--It's Alex."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Alex asked.

"It means your a geek," Luke told her.

"You know what? I might just go crazy tonight and-- and -- and hook up all over him. Why are you laughing? That's not funny. I'm not even gonna wear my glasses!"

"I feel better now," Phil said as Alex walked away.

"All right, we're going to the mall," Haley said, gesturing towards Athena.

"Um, we need to talk, honey," Claire told her. "We're worried about you. You haven't heard back from the college that wait-listed you, and all the rest of your friends have. And now you're just wasting time at the mall."

"For your information, I've already filled out and dropped off my community college application. And plus also I'm going to the mall because I have a job interview," Haley said.

"I'm going for emotional support," Athena smiled.

"Really?" Claire asked.

"My guidance counselor suggested I take a gap year. You know, a year between high school and college where you take some courses, have some life experiences, and get inspired," Haley explained. "And obviously, work at The Gap."

***

"You're never gonna believe it!" Haley exclaimed as her and Athena walked into the Dunphy house, grocery bags in hand. "Guess who got a job. I did! Oh, shoot. I just told you."

"Oh! Honey, congratulations!" Claire smiled, hugging Haley. "You got a job! And what is all this?"

"We stopped by the grocery store to get stuff for dinner," Athena told them with a grin.

"You know where the grocery store is?" Claire asked her daughter.

"Yes, mother. I'm celebrating by making dinner for me and Athena tonight," Haley grinned. "Would you and Dad like to join us?"

"What is happening?" Claire whispered to Phil who just shrugged in response.

***

Haley and Athena

"We were discussing, maybe, getting an apartment after graduation," Haley shrugged.

"It's a big maybe," Athena said. She wasn't sure how on board she really was.