𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐎𝐍𝐄 - 𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐔𝐏 𝐁𝐀𝐁𝐘

"Ooh! How was prom?" Claire asked Alex as she walked into the kitchen the morning after prom.

"So fun," Alex grinned. "Michael and I danced all night and then we stayed after and helped clean up, which was awesome because I got to meet next year's Trig teacher."

"That is not the prom I remember," Claire muttered. Just then, Haley and Athena walked into the kitchen, still in makeup and dresses from the night before.

"I have such a bad headache!" Haley groaned, sitting down at the counter.

"Shh," Athena muttered, placing her cheek against the kitchen counter to cool her face down.

"The prom I remember," Claire whispered to herself before turning to Haley and asking, "Were you drinking?"

"Mom, do we really have to do this?" Haley asked. "You ask if I was drinking, I say 'No,' and we both know that's not true. I mean, aren't we past this point in our relationship?"

"No, young lady, we are not."

"Then I wasn't drinking."

"I definitely was," Athena admitted.

"Why didn't you just go home?" Claire asked, wondering why Athena had spent the night.

"I couldn't remember my way home. I think I did a little more than drinking."

"Jesus Christ. Okay, I'm calling your mom to pick you up. I fear you may fall asleep at the wheel."

***

"No more children, please," Athena groaned as Juniper, who was newly a toddler, threw a fit.

"Well, this one wasn't really planned," Liana muttered, trying to entertain Juniper.

"Absolutely disgusting, Mom. Change the subject, please."

"How about we have a talk about you drinking last night?"

"No, thanks," Athena told her. "You're lucky this made me realize I really don't like drinking."

"I thought that time in Hawaii would do that for you," Liana laughed.

"Claire told you?!"

"No, Phil did. He's a total blabber mouth, you know this."

***

"Oh, you made it!" Haley sighed when Athena walked through the front door of Jay and Glorias house for Jay's birthday.

"Yeah, sorry. My hangover nap ran longer than expected. I slept through five alarms," Athena admitted.

"We're back!" Phil annouced as him and Jay walked in the door after Athena. "Birthday boy's here!"

"Hey, Jay , you're all wrinkled," Manny told him.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm old. I get it," Jay sighed.

"No, I mean your clothes."

"Yeah, when I was your age, I was wearing animal skins. Bam! You got me."

"I think, bam! you got yourself," Manny said. "I was just expressing concern."

"Let me guess-- about my bone density. You know, you're a real smart-ass," Jay said.

"At this rate, I'll be living in the basement," Manny sighed.

"Dad? Dad, okay, quick. Just come here one second," Claire panicked slightly. "I gotta tell you something. Someboyd is about to tell you some very important news. And for the first time in your life, I need you to react nicely."

"I always react nicely," Jay said.

"Not really," Athena spoke up.

"Exactly. And this person in question is very vulnerable right now. So could you please just be loving and supportive?"

"Happy birthday, Dad!" Mitch cheered as he, Cam, and Lily walked in.

"Sorry we're late, but it's for a good reason," Cam said. "We're thinking about getting a cat."

"Oh. Well, isn't that wonderful?" Jay said, thinking that was what Claire was telling him about. "I'm thrilled for you both. This is a heck of a decision. You have my full support. I think it'll be a perfect addition to the family. I know I'll love the heck out of the little bugger. I'm just hoping that little one over there doesn't get jealous." He pointed towards Stella on the stairs.

"Oh, this little one will be just fine now that he knows where he stands-- in the shadow of your new baby!" Manny shouted.

"What's he talking about?"

"He's talking about I am pregnant," Gloria announced.

"Oh, my god," Athena whispered.

"You gotta be kidding me!" Jay said.

"Oh, gross. I didn't know grandpa could still do it," Luke muttered.

"Don't be disrespectful, Luke. Anyone could do it with Gloria," Phil said.

"And if you're too set in your old ways to be happy about it, I can raise it on my own!" Gloria shouted. "I have done it before, and I can do it now! I come from a very long line of strong latin women whose husbands are nowhere to be found!"

"Are you done?" Jay asked.

"Yes!"

"Can I say something?"

"Go on!"

"That's the greatest news I've ever heard," Jay told her.

"It is?" Gloria asked.

"I spent the day hearing what my future had in store for me, and I didn't like it one bit. It felt like my life was ending. And now you're telling me that I get to have a new start... with the woman of my dreams. I think I'm gonna cry."

"I'm way ahead of you," Phil said. Athena pat him on the shoulder.

"It's gonna be great!"

"I'm gonna get so fat!" Gloria cried.

"Mostly great."

***

"Oh, gross, they're at it again," Luke said, watching Gloria and Jay hug. Some time had passed a Gloria was not very pregnant.

"If you don't like it, don't look," Jay told him.

"We come bearing gifts!" Athena shouted as her and Haley walked into the room.

"Perfect! Okay, everybody, let's gather together," Gloria announced. "Manny's gonna read us a little something that he prepare in his poetry camp."

Athena sat down on a chair at the table and pulled Haley into her lap.

"Thank you, Mom. This is for my new baby brother or sister," Manny said. "'Welcome little one. Open your eyes and take your place. This is where you're meant to be, nestled in the bosom of your mother. This is where you're meant to be, in the arms of your father. His long, long journey has readied him for this day, though his skin may be loose, his hair but a wisp, and his eyes milky with age, you--'"

"Alright, we're done here," Jay said, snatching the book from Manny.