#5 - Midnight encounter

Mako! As I fly all in some delirium, tired and full of strength, angry but also thoughtful, I think of him.

I haven't seen him in a full year, and maybe longer. How is he? Is he in good health? I guess he is, everyone tells me he's fine, but ...

And the belief that Asami is cheating on me with him ignites in me, and I believe in it. The beings from Spirit-World are bowing before me, aware that I don't care if I go through them, because I'm all full of some weird burst of energy.

The flight isn't long, but it kind of seems like an eternity to me. I go down to the street where - unless he changed his address - Mako still lives. But I stand at the door of the building. Locked up. I don't want to break in and thus wake up the neighbors. And hacking doors with water and wind, with little earth and fire ... no, I'm not that skilled. Not yet, maybe one day. I decide to fly to the window on a miniature leech and knock on it. Someone approaches the window and looks at me ...

Mako! It's really him! Dressed in a solid dark pajamas, tall, with neat brown hair and a striking handsome face as always. He looks at me with astonishment in his eyes.

Why? ... Ah, I know why. Because my eyes shine with avatar power and I look like I'm going to destroy an entire building at any moment. Before he says anything I release the element of wind and it disappears. I jump on the balcony and within a few moments I come to my senses.

He's just motionless as I walk past him. I enter the apartment and absorb the scent. Wood, papers and clothes ... nothing new, but it's nice to feel and taste such simplicity in the air.

- Korra ... do you know what time it is? - he asks sleepily.

- Yeah, I don't care. Tell me honestly, are you sleeping with Asami?

- What? - he seems a little more awake, so I rephrase the question.

- Are you making love to her? Occasionally or often, whatever. Yes or no?

- Korra ...

Something in my gaze made him inhale sharply and look away. Then:

- Yes. Occasionally, every ten days we see each other and ... remember the good old days.

- Really? - I whisper, in mild disbelief. I didn't think he would just admit it. Maybe I didn't really think that was true. But it is!

I sink into the leather armchair in the middle of the room and close my eyes. I certainly won't fall asleep, but ... I feel really sluggish and shocked. So it's true. Asami cheats on me with Mako. Hmpf! As if I couldn't expect something like that!

Mako stands at the other end of the room, after closing the balcony door. He seems full of uncertainty as he speaks slowly.

- Korra ... I don't know how you're going to take it, but she and I ... we just can't be without each other.

- Love? - I asked in a weak voice.

- When it comes to the two of you ladies, I'm ... I'm not sure.

- Not sure, how !? - I exclaim, but at the same time I exhale again. He didn't seem to notice my reaction.

- Like I said, we're ... together. And love? It is not easy for me to assess ...

- Ah! You are still so indecisive, as always. Mako, can't you simplify things at least once in your life?

I don't even know how it comes out of me, but I get up and point my finger at him as I utter the next torrent of words.

- You know what your problem is, Mako? You have always been very indecisive among women. Especially among those who like you. And while they clearly give you signs that they like you ... after a while you infect them too.