Fourth Degree

Jonathan's POV

My heart was racing a mile a minute as chaos in the neighborhood broke out. A woman was screaming someone died and I was in disbelief. Nothing like this has ever happened in this neighborhood.

Then suddenly it hit me. "ANTWAN!" I screamed and Imani looked at me with beady eyes and screamed, "what are you screaming about?" she asked as she walked towards me.

I started panicking and my hands were on my chest. He-he just left with Tee. Shaking her head and looking down the street at the chaos she mumbles,"It's just a coincidence. Unconvinced I started running to the commotion. Quincy and Xavier ran after me, as I saw the flames from afar and sirens approaching.

Is that Tee's car I thought to myself as I continued to approach the accident.

"Wait holdup!" Quincy yelled grabbing my arm. "You can't just run up to that shit. it may blow up again', he said holding me back."

I tried to push him back shaking my head, and tears falling from my eyes. I have to see who it is I cried out as I got closer to the car. When I stepped closer the sounds of the fire was cracking and I could hear something ssssing. As I tried to make out the car the sirens got closer, and I started panicking.

"ANTWAN!!" I yelled hoping to get a response. Someone was knocked out in the car but I still couldn't make out the vehicle.

Fire crews approached and pulled me back and then the car blew up completely and they worked to contain the fire.

"Oh my God.... No please save my friend I cried!" Please please please.

Quincy walked over and pulled me into his arms, and I caught a glimpse of Xavier just staring at the car on fire. As I watched him something about him reminded me of someone I knew but I couldn't figure it out.

At this point all the shots and drinks I had have completely passed, and I was sobered up.

Just hope for the best Jonathan, maybe it's not them. Who would want them to be dead anyways, Quincy whispered to me while holding me in his arms. I shook my head and thought of all the shit Samir and Tee put us through over the summer and continued crying.

"Antwan is okay, Jonathan," Quincy explained in a calm manor. I gave him a head nod but everyone could tell I wasn't convinced, I needed certainty. I then looked back at the fire and decided to walk back to the house and they both followed.

Standing on the porch, Imani was on the phone and she looked at me and smiled. "He's at his dorm, Jonathan. Antwan is okay," she revealed. "He caught an Uber back."

Why where did Tee go? I asked confused.

Clarence shook his head and walked back into the house and Lorenzo followed him.

"Apparently when they left Samir was picking them up," Imani explained.

Samir... what was he doing here, I asked confused. Imani shrugged in response. I scrunched up my face and looked back at the chaos.
So wait, could that have been... oh my God...

As tears started flowing down my face, two police officers, one black and the other white approached the house. "Hey everyone, could I ask you a few questions about what happened here, one of the cops asked.

Everyone stood there in shock and the cops waited for a response looking at us awkwardly. Clarence returned to the porch and spoke up and we all went back into the house.

"Who was that in the car?" Quincy asked. A woman said two people were involved one maybe dead.

That's what we're trying to figure out the Black officer explained. As of now it does appear that two people were in the car. We're working on identifying them now. Would two people have happened to be leaving this house he asked.

I nodded my head yes. Two of our friends left, but we spoke to one of them and they're back at their dorm already.

The officers nodded and asked for their names and I looked at Imani and her face had the same fear as me.

Antwan DuPont and Tee, we'll Terrence Mathis, Imani revealed. The officers jotted down there names and they asked which one is at their dorm right now?

Antwan, I answered. And one of the cops spoke on their walkies, "do we have ID's on the victims"

"We do!" Someone responded back. Is one of those ID's a Terrence DuPont, the same cop asked.

It felt like the room was frozen in place as we waited for confirmation. And the walkie went live again...

Terrence DuPont, was the victim found inside of the car. He's in critical condition. Looks like fourth degree burns.

Samir, I said in a low breath and I heard someone cry out tee's name.
Everyone turned to the front door to see Antwan standing there with tears in his eyes. "Oh Antwan, I sighed," as I ran towards him wrapping my arms around him. The room was filled with our whimpering cries and confusion from everyone else.

Who's Samir a cop asked, I thought only two of your friends left the house. Do you all suspect you know who the other victim is, they asked looking around the room.

Antwan separated from me and nodded before explaining what he knew. Yes, Tee was with Samir. He came to pick us up and I was confused as to why and Tee and I started arguing. I decided to take an Uber back to my dorm because... well I don't like Samir. He explained shrugging his shoulders. Is Tee going to be okay? He asked leaning his head on my shoulder.

The white officer stepped forward in our direction. And then spoke into his walkie. "Do we have an ID on the second victim." Possibly a Samir.. he waited and looked in our direction and I said, Samir Hassan!

Hassan, Samir Hassan the officer said, and we waited.

The other victim that was thrown out of the car is a Hassan. Samir Hassan they continued and my life flashed before my eyes and I heard what sounded like Xavier say "fuck" and then everything went dark.