Recovery

2 month later

Antwan POV

"It's been 2 months since the explosion. And I don't know what to do," I explained with my head laid back. "I thought it would get easier but it feels like yesterday that we attended his funeral."

"What do you remember about that day, at the church? Up to this point you have not been able to talk about it," my therapist explains.

With tears forming in my eyes I shake my head at the thought of that day. "I remember his mother crying. And that it was a closed casket. The last thing I said to him before... you know — I told him I couldn't stand him and that I was done.

I'm not done though, I explained sobbing with tears drenching the collar of my shirt. Tee is gone and it's not fair. I don't understand who would want to do something like that.

I regret getting upset and leaving that, I say wiping tears from my eyes.

You realize that had you stayed, you could have also been severely injured or worse, my therapist tried to explain.

I shrug and look out the window at the sky. "Who's to say that wouldn't have been better than this?" I asked.

I looked up at the clock and noticed I had just under a minute left in our session and blew my nose and wiped my teary eyes. "I guess we're done for today huh? I say with a tight smile."

Yes we can meet again next week same time, if you feel up to it. But I have some homework for you as well.

I nod my head in understanding and leave the office building.

Jonathan POV

"Take it easy, your doctor said over doing it does more harm than good," I explain to Samir. "You just had surgery."

I can't just sit around, I will go crazy, he said struggling with his crutches. I'm fine and you don't have to worry I got this. Looking at me he winks and struggle walks to the couch.

Watching him he looks up at me and pats the spot beside him on the couch motioning for me to sit down.

"You know I appreciate you being here for me these past two months. I know it's been hard for you and you've sacrificed a lot, but your support for me means everything. I love you, Jonathan."

Hearing those words made me cringe, but I smiled in his direction. He's right it has been hard for me and things will never be the same with me caught in the middle of all this chaos. Having to deal with my best friend grieving the loss of his boyfriend and blaming Samir for it, my relationship with Antwan has been severely strained. Even more ever since he found out I was helping Samir with his recovery.

Samir decided to stay here in Chapel Hill until he was cleared by his doctor and had no one else here. Imani and Antwan tried to convince me that he did it in effort to manipulate me, but I could care less. I would be lying if I said I didn't love Samir still and I couldn't let him do this alone.

Everyday I've been checking up on  him and making sure he's comfortable and in the right headspace. I could tell mentally he was not doing okay, he lost his best friend. What's worse is that he wasn't even able to say goodbye. Tee's mother wouldn't allow Samir at the funeral.

Hesitating I respond back.

"I love you too."

Grabbing my hand he smiles at me and we sit in silence. Until there's a knock at the door and a head peeks into the room.

"Hey, sorry for interrupting but baby we have to go I'm going to be late for practice," Quincy said with a smile.

Ever since that night Quincy and I got closer and I took a leap of faith and decided to let him in. Even after the drunken exchange we had with Xavier. We were able to move past it and chalked it up to being young and experimental. I haven't seen Xavier since that night anyhow. However, after everything while I was there for Samir, Quincy was there for me as I grappled with my severed friendship and the trauma of that night.

Nodding in understanding I stood up and patted Samir's shoulder.

"Call me if you need anything," I reassured Samir. "Your doctor said you could be released soon so that's good. I also spoke to your sister and she said she would be coming up with your brother to take you home when that happens."

He nodded in understanding and I left the room with Quincy, my boyfriend.