Chapter Seventeen: Illea Day

Princess Amelia 

May 20th, 2010

I stood standing beside Mama as today was Illea Day! The day our wonderful country was born and my nine times great grandfather became King. 

Ist William nervös, mit uns zu feiern?' (Is William nervous to celebrate with us?) Mama asked as she watched out the window to the crowd waiting for us. 

"Ein bisschen. Er weiß nur, was das Fernsehen zeigt." (A little. He only knows what the television has shown him.) I said as I heard footsteps and saw Papa leading everyone downstairs in his military uniform. 

"You two are always the first ones ready. Large crowd?" He asked as he kissed mama softly before turning and kissing my forehead. 

"Papa, there is always a crowd waiting for us to leave on Illea Day," Christopher said and I smiled as I walked towards Will and held his hand. 

"Yes, now since this is Williams's first time celebrating with us who will say what we do first?" Papa asked and Rose smiled as she turned to her future brother-in-law. 

"First we go to Saint Illea Catherdal and hold service for our day. It's only two hours long so don't worry. Next, when we leave the service we have a walkabout with the crowd outside. We take the old carriages back home so people may see us." She began before Carlos cut her off.

"Once we get home we all appear on the balcony. Much like your Trooping. Our Aunt and cousins will be there as well.  Dad makes his yearly speech and it's recorded live for everyone to watch at home." Carlos finished and I smiled as I turned to William. 

"Are you ready?" I asked and he nodded as he held out his arm for me. 

"I am the Prince of Wales. Of course, I am ready." He said and I smiled as Papa nodded for the doors to be opened and we all walked outside in order of succession. 

Papa and Mama went into one car with Anna and Albert in another. Protocol determined she and papa couldn't ride in the same car together. 

I stepped into the third car with William and Carols while Christopher and Rosie got into the last car. 

"You always take all these cars separately?" William asked and I sighed as I grabbed my phone from my purse and texted Rosemary who would be waiting for me. 

"Illea has a lot of enemies still. Though they are hidden Papa and Mama fear one day they will attack." Carlos explained and I nodded. 

It took us less then fifteen minutes to get to the cathedral and by the time our car was parked Papa and Mama were waiting outside with the Priest. 

"Behave Carlos. You cannot fall asleep again." I said as I sent him a smile before my guard opened the door and I stepped outside and waved to the crowd. 

Papa smiled brightly when he saw me and I turned to make sure William and Carlos were behind me. When we joined them on the top stairs everyone waved to the crowd and I felt Papa's large hand resting on my shoulder. 

"Ich mag diese Amelie. Meine strahlende Amelia, die selbstbewusst ist." (I like this Amelia. My shining Amelia who is confident in herself.) He said and I smiled at him as I bowed my head. 

"Danke, Papa." (Thank you, Papa.) I whispered and he nodded before leading us into the Cathedral. The first row was for Papa, Mama, Albert, and Anna. William and I were led to the second row and I grinned when I saw my Aunt Anna.