Haunted AU

30 years ago, the last Afton died.

Anyone who lived anywhere near them knew that.

But 30 years after their deaths, quirks had really started picking up. The first quirk had been discovered around a hundred years before they died, so being quirkless was impossible.

Yes, you may not get an obvious quirk, but everyone has an appearance quirk. This may make their skin a weird color, give them little antennae that serve no purpose, or give them a tail. The appearance quirk in itself does nothing, but if your quirk is tied with your appearance quirk you might have a movable tail, or become any shape and color you wished.

Quirks got stronger with each new generation, too. One day, a little girl with a genetics related quirk went to the cemetery with her parents to visit her grandparents grave, and her quirk accidentally activated. It was only for a few seconds, and no one seemed to be affected by it. However, her parents were wrong in thinking that. Because two days later, a blond haired infant appeared in the arms of a brown haired ghost.

The ghost's name was Michael Afton. He had died the last of all the Aftons, and was buried in a secluded section of the cemetery, near Noah Reeds and twin children who had died as infants. He had requested to be buried near his dead boyfriend, and in the afterlife, wandering as free souls, they had met the twins and adopted them. His grave happened to be close to the girl when her quirk malfunctioned, and he and Noah were both hit with the quirk.

The quirk reacted with the souls in an odd way, so instead of just a child appearing in the mother's arms, the child could see, hear, and touch ghosts. Only the four souls nearest, the twins, Michael, and Noah, could touch her without her focusing her energy. The ghosts named her Himalaya, after the Himalaya mountains.

When she was twelve, a tornado destroyed the cemetery, and all the ghosts buried there were free to roam wherever they wanted, not just two hundred yards from their graves. The Afton-Reeds took this as a chance to go elsewhere, and Himalaya decided she wanted to go to Japan. She earned enough money from singing on TV shows as 'Snowcap' to buy a plane ticket, and she enabled the connection which kept her family within a hundred yards at all times. Her older siblings wandered while her parents looked after all three of them, coaching Laya, as she was affectionately nicknamed by her family, through the airport.

Laya had been learning Japanese on online courses for over a year now, and she knew enough to get through a simple conversation and ask directions. Her parents hovered behind her while her siblings scouted around, and that was how she made her way through Tokyo.

She got on a train to Hosu, Japan only a few hours after getting off the plane. Michael, her Papa, had stayed by her side the whole time, but her Dad had had to chase her siblings, Daffodil and Aster, back to the group. Laya managed to get to Hosu unscathed, and had enough money from being semi-famous in America to rent a small, cheap apartment for a few years.

Only four months after she moved to Hosu, she encountered Stain, the hero killer.

—————
~575 words
7 October 2021