Henry

"Mikey...? Mikey, wake up! Why won't you answer me! Wake up, Mikey please wake up!!"

Henry gets the first call at one A.M.

"Is this the godfather of Elizabeth Afton, Evan Afton, and Michael Afton?"

"...Yes, I'm their godfather, why?"

"It's been discovered that they are living in an unsafe environment. Would you be willing to take them in until permanent residences can be found for them?"

"Uh—of course, they can be here—but what do you mean by unsafe environment?"

"...It's a very sensitive manner, it's best to hear it in person."

He arrives at the police station at one-thirty.

All three children are huddled on the bench , haggard and tired. Evan and Elizabeth are in their pajamas, scared and confused, and Henry thinks that that's blood on Elizabeth's hands.

Michael looks the worst of all of them, still in his normal clothes and covering up as much of himself as possible, with his coat and hat and hair over his face. But Henry can still see bandages peeking out from his clothes.

"We received an anonymous call to investigate the household at night and found...many worrying things, which shouldn't be mentioned in front of them. But a basic rundown is that both parents are in custody. It's not legal for them to stay in the house alone, as the eldest isn't even seventeen. So until permanent homes are found for them, they should stay with you after you sign these papers..."

They're getting out of the car by three.

Evan seems to have fallen asleep in the car, so Michael carries him inside, Elizabeth trailing after him. He navigates to Charlie's—no, the empty room and tucks them in. Henry's grateful for his help, because he's still reeling from the fact that it was William who killed her.

"I can...get some blankets, you'll have to sleep on the couch I'm afraid—I don't have another bedroom."

Michael only nods, wordlessly following him and collapsing on the couch, not bothering to even get a blanket.

Henry just lets him sleep and leaves for his own bed.

At seven, something wakes him up.

He gets up and goes to the kitchen, where he heard a thump. Henry finds Michael using the counter to pick himself up off the floor.

"Michael, are you okay?"

The teen flinches at his voice, almost falling back down. He nods slowly, gripping the edge of the counter.

"...Alright, what are you doing?"

Michael murmurs, "Cooking." He flaps his hands at Henry in an obvious shooing motion.

"Okay, call me if you need any help." It's probably not the best idea to leave him, but Henry doesn't want to pry and he's also just tired. Call him an old man, but he needs his sleep.

— ~ - Michael POV - ~ —

Henry acted a bit like his father there, having concern for Michael and then allowing him to just continue doing his own thing. Michael's always liked his father for that reason...it makes him easy to be around, when he is around and not just busy with work.

Shaking his head, then wincing at the flaring ache, he goes to wake up Evan and Elizabeth. They like to watch him cook.

— ~ - Henry POV - ~ —

Henry goes back out to the kitchen at seven-thirty, wary of leaving Michael alone too long—after all, the kid couldn't have slept for more than four hours. But it seems that he's fine, albeit rather quiet for a sixteen-year-old.