Hanahaki AU (with a twist)

Michael POV:

Everyone was avoiding the subject.

They thought I didn't know.

They thought I was too naïve to realize.

They didn't talk about him.

They didn't say anything about it.

They avoided talking about him when someone brought him up.

They acted like everything was normal.

Like he was still here, just a mile away, living his life.

Like when I went to the overgrown park where we always wandered for hours, he was there waiting.

Like he responded to any of the texts or calls they sent to him.

Like two weeks ago, he didn't go missing at Funtimes' Pizzeria.

Like they didn't find blood covering the room where a malfunctioning animatronic, Ennard, was in.

Like the blood didn't turn out to be his after a DNA test.

Like he wasn't presumed dead.

Like nobody thought he was dead.

I know he isn't dead.

Or at least, if he's dead, then he came back as a soul like me.

What other explanation is there for the dying blue flowers I keep coughing up?

Hanahaki Disease (花吐き病 (Japanese); 하나하키병 (Korean); 花吐病 (Chinese)) is a disease in which the victim coughs up flower petals when they suffer from one-sided love. It ends when the beloved returns their feelings (romantic love only; strong friendship is not enough), or when the victim dies. It can be cured through surgical removal, but when the infection is removed, the victim's romantic feelings for their love also disappear. The symptoms of the disease are summarized to strong pain, having flowers blooming in the heart and lungs, and then throwing them up.

———————————————

~175 words.

Halfway through, I got another idea with the same beginning. Imma go write that now :)

December 18, 2021