Expositional Hallucinations and a Gulag

-John-117-

The clearing was silent except for the soft crunch of someone shifting their weight on the snow, then Ozpin blurted out with a panicked expression, "Jinn please! Avoid any reference to that, we don't want shattered worldviews and broken minds, because that's what happened last time."

The genie smirked, "Oh who are you to lecture me? Last time I answered a question for you, you were the one to nearly break. And now you're traipsing around with a band of children on some grand quest. Though a few of them..." she trailed off, twirling a playful finger in the direction of blue team. Oz's face flared red with a blush and Ruby seemed to finish deliberating, setting her jaw.

"Jinn!" She said, and Oz's face bespoke a moment of fear, "What is Ozpin keeping from us?"

John watched the world fade to white, with a notable exception of Fred and Kelly, who stuck right by his sides and gripped weapons tightly.

Jinn faded into the white space a second later, cheerily saying, "Hello again Reclaimers, I'm happy to say you three get special treatment,"

Kelly's finger was on the trigger of her shotgun, but it was still pointed downwards, and she asked, "Where are the others?"

Jinn waved a hand and a window opened to Ruby standing in front of a blonde woman and a knight with silver hair. the genie's hand waved again and the scene dissolved, "Oh they're fine, just getting an answer that fits their world and understanding of it, as per request of Ozpin. I'm still obligated to listen to one of the monitors of this installation, even in the situation he's in."

Fred looked about ready to ask a question, but stopped himself, and Jinn seemed to take the hint, "Right," she said, "On with your answer,"

The world around the Spartans swirled again and they found themselves floating in space above a green and blue planet which they quickly recognized as Remnant when the shattered moon came into view.

Jinn's voice spoke from everywhere at once, "To put it bluntly, this world that you're on is an experiment, a test, a laboratory, all of the above. Two brothers of a species in power before your history worked together to create this world to prove to themselves that humanity deserves the inherited power of the Reclaimers."

She paused as two massive figures faded into view on opposite sides of the planet, each wearing an ornate suit of armor of the same metal that the Spartans recalled seeing in the room that brought them to Remnant, but one had a warm yellow glow, while the other glowed a harsh purple.

Jinn continued to narrate, "These two Forerunners wanted to realize their vision without fear of outside interference, so they moved their lab inside of the forerunner domain, and created a semi digital existence for this world. Which is why some things don't quite make sense here to an outsider, such as souls being able to manifest physical power.

The humans on the world had a bit of a rough start, overconfident in their powers, they attempted to overthrow the brothers, who quickly quelled the rebellion, though they did end up composing two of the humans, one named Salem, the other Ozma, into monitors of the installation. One was cursed with complete immortality, while the other was forced to endlessly reincarnate, at least, until a final decision on humanity could be arrived at by the brothers.

The four relics, one of which you are in possession of, would serve to facilitate this judgement, and if they were ever all brought together, the two brothers would reconvene and judge the current state of humanity.

The final thing before I send you back is this, Ozpin previously asked a question of me, which is why after this one, only one will be left, and he asked how he could defeat Salem, and I simply said, 'you can't'"