Vehicular Homicide, But With Monsters

Qrow remained silent the entire trip back to beacon to retrieve the other armor pieces. He only spoke to point out the nearest entrance to the tunnels. Once the group found John and Linda, who were sitting in the shadows of a partially collapsed station, Kelly simply handed them a stack of armor and said, "Qrow knows, and expects an explanation."

John nodded.

"We're armoring up first. In just the time Linda and I have been down here there have been at least 4 different large Grimm passing by."

The team split into pairs, with Linda going to help Kelly get into her own armor, and Fred and John pairing up to take care of their duties as Qrow kept watch silently, a flask in his left hand and sword in the other.

30 minutes later, 4 fully armed and armored Spartans stepped up to Qrow.

"We have been training for a long time, and have had augmentations that enhance our physical capabilities," John said. "The armor further enhances that. When we first came to Vale, everything was completely new, as we had been isolated at our mountain training camp. What you saw on the rooftop was Linda, since we found her armor earlier, and she was acting as armored support, and Kelly was wearing it recently just now to alleviate suspicion."

Qrow raised his eyebrows.

"All right." He took a swig from his flask. "Let's get moving, Ozpin is gonna wanna hear how you kids duped him once we're out of here."

The group got moving. The Spartans let Qrow pace the group since he was the slowest. As they were moving through a particularly open section of tunnel, the Spartan's audio receptors picked up a faint whistle. Fred stopped for a few seconds as the neural link in his helmet amplified and isolated the sound. It was still unfamiliar, and the closest thing that he could relate it to sounded like rolling metal and pounding feet.

TEAMCOM lit up with each team member trying to alert the others at the exact same time as a blip appeared on the motion tracker. Suddenly, each team member went silent. What each Spartan had thought was just part of the tunnel started moving, and a giant Grimm awoke.

The giant creature lifted its head and stood up; it was so massive that it needed to crouch in the thirty foot high tunnel.

Qrow whistled.

"That's big. I want to say I told you so, but we should probably be running in the opposite direction."

Kelly shook her head. "That would just lead us farther into the dead zone,"

Qrow drew his sword. "Fine, but unless you guys have heavy artillery built into that armor, that thing is not going anywhere any time soon."

The team split, Linda hooked to the ceiling and readied her rifle. Fred pulled his sidearm and got a small dust infusion bomb ready. John had already started moving to flank the beast as Kelly holstered her weapons and prepared to run. Qrow started to bark orders before he saw that the Spartans were a step ahead of him, and he ran to flank the Grimm with John.

Now that the creature was fully awake, Fred got a good look at the thing. It looked almost like a Beowulf, except with longer and thicker arms. The chest and torso were shortened, letting the thing stand at almost full height in the tunnels, but the greatest difference was on the face: it had a bone helmet like other Grimm, except there were no eye holes. Kelly started running to distract it, and its head immediately swiveled to stare at her. It moved suddenly, and a giant arm flung down and almost clipped Kelly's back, just inches from her armored carapace. She made it to the cover of some large rubble and skidded to a stop, The Grimm instantly turned its giant, eyeless head towards John and Qrow, since they had moved to flank the thing and John had started to pepper it with rounds from his rifle. It roared and started to swing one of its giant arms in an arc to hit the both of them.