Arson and Ancients

Kelly had been given a room to stay in at the back corner of the house, which was fine with her, it meant she didn't have to interact with people much, but she thought it was intentional, as her room was a small study with a large couch instead of a bed, even though there were multiple open guest rooms in the large Belladonna estate.

Kelly spent most of her time working on equipment (the saltwater from the trip over wasn't good for most of her stuff) and scouting the area around the house, getting to know it like the back of her hand and, with the permission of Mr. and Mrs. Belladonna, making it a bit more, "defensible."

The House guards didn't really seem to trust this new guest, especially when they realized Kelly was watching as well, albeit unseen, and it creeped most of the guards out and set them on edge. The rumor started circulating that this new guest would prey on lone guards and use them for practice, so they started patrolling in pairs, and more on edge.

Blake eventually heard about it and went to confront Kelly, or at least tell her, and she found the spartan hanging upside down from a crossbeam affixing a thermal camera to the edge of the roof. Blake crossed her arms and leaned against a wall, "Hey Kelly do you know what the guards are saying about you?"

Kelly didn't turn away from her work, "That I'm some Atlesian boogeyman?"

"No, well, uh," Blake sputtered, "That you sneak around and stalk people, and hunt the guards for practice. I'm pretty sure those are unfounded, but I wanted to check with you and make sure you were doing okay, It has got to be hard being probably the only human on the island,"

Kelly shrugged, "I know where the rumor came from, and I'm pretty sure I'm ok, the burns from your assassin friend are healing quickly,"

Blake looked relieved, "that's good,"—"wait," she paused narrowing her eyes, "what do you mean you know how the rumor started?"

Kelly disconnected herself from the ceiling and flipped, landing in front of Blake, "One of the guards, Tucker, catcalled me on my way back to my room from a workout out of armor, I sort of," Kelly paused awkwardly, "stalked him on his balcony watches for a few days, maybe scared him once or twice,"

Blake shook her head, "I want to be mad, but I can't blame you, but now they are all scared of you and patrol in pairs."

Kelly nodded, "good, that'll improve their effectiveness, the second part at least,"

Blake sighed, "Next time just please tell me or my parents,"

Kelly nodded and looked at her scroll to test the new camera as Blake walked out the door.

That night at dinner Mr. Belladonna asked Blake and Sun how their recruitment campaign was going. Blake hung her head in her hands and Sun held up a finger, "Not great, but it can only get better from here,"

Blake replied scathingly, "by that he means we have made no progress and recruited no one,"

Mr. Belladonna continued looking grumpy, and offered no change in facial expression, but Mrs. Belladonna smiled comfortingly, "Don't worry, people will come, just give them time and they will realize what's right,"

Kelly swallowed a bite of food and added, "I've learned to always plan on what you have or less, and never count on more, so it's probably best to come up with at least some plan assuming you can't make any progress, but that's just me."

Sun frowned, "That's just pessimistic,"

Mr. Belladonna fixed the boy with a hard stare, "It's practical."

A few nights later Kelly was walking through the sandy forest behind the house when one of her proximity alarms went off. She checked the cameras, and sure enough, white fang assassins were approaching the house from the southwest and the east, Kelly quickly activated her "defenses," alerting the guard captain in the process, and moved quickly to the east and the closest group of assassins.