Complications

Casey POV
Gabby. I haven't seen her since the gala 3 years ago. She's here. She's hurt.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by Boden saying he'd drive me.

At Med- Maggie POV
Almost all of 51 came walking into Med. I had to tell them what was happening with Gabby, this was going to be rough. I walked out to them.
Severide- how is she? What's going on?
Maggie- I'm going to get the most recent information so I can tell you everything, I'll be back soon.

I went up to Gabby's room to check on her and get an update. While I was talking to Sam alarms starting goes off in Gabby's room.
Nurse- she's seizing
We ran in and staring trying to stop the seizure. Eventually we did but her sats were still low. I noticed blood in her tube.
Maggie- she's bleeding in her airway, the tube must have moved around while she was seizing and started a bleed.
Sam- get the tube out and try to get a new one in, she doesn't need any more brain damage from hypoxia.
I extubated and tried to re intubate
Maggie- I can't get it in, her airways swelling from the trauma
Sam- bag her, page respiratory and get her to the OR for a trach. You know what, find someone to do a PEG while she's in there, this is going to be a long road.

We got her off to the OR and I headed back down to talk to 51.

Casey POV

Maggie's been gone for a long time now, I just need someone to tell me what's happening. I'm terrified, I don't know what to do. It hurt when she left but when she visited we were ok, we still loved each other. I've always loved her, I need her to be ok.

Maggie finally walked back in
Casey- what's happening?
Maggie- we'd heard she had head trauma, when she got her she was seizing. Once we stopped the seizure we took her to CT and then straight to surgery. She had a brain bleed that was fixed and they also had to remove a large piece of her skull to give her brain room to swell. She's unresponsive but the EEG after surgery did show brain activity.
Casey- did? As in its no longer showing brain activity?
Maggie- I didn't say that, we're not sure. When I went to check on her she started having another seizure that lasted for quite a while and her sats were low. When she stopped seizing they didn't come up again. The tube damaged her airway during the seizure and started a bleed. We couldn't get a new tube in so now she's in the OR getting a trach. Dr Abrams decided she should have PEG surgery while she's there so she doesn't need an NG tube.
Brett- why does she need a feeding tube? She's been here less than a day, how do you know she needs it?
Maggie- this is her 3rd surgery in 36 hours, she might only need it for a few weeks but we don't want to put her through another surgery if she's going to need it more long term. This surgery shouldn't be long, I'll get dr Abrams to update you after her next neuro exam.

Sam- she has a severe traumatic brain injury. She's unresponsive but the EEG shows some brain activity, we just have to wait and see if she wakes up. We won't know more about the effects of the TBI until she wakes up but with this level of trauma there will almost certainly be at least short term deficits.