Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Underrated: Strangers In Bookstores

"Spell extravagant... Extravagant."

The woman from YouTube says through my earphones. I flip my phone backwards on my lap and then I begin to write the word extravagant on the notebook that I bought with me here on the building's rooftop.

I wrote extravagant down.

E-X-T-R-A-G-G-A-N-T

I bit the pen as I waited for the ting sound, indicating that she had shown the correct spelling for the word that she asked her viewers to spell. This is a damn kid's channel by the way, no matter how embarrassing that would be to admit.

Everyone in the office is having their lunch break, but I immediately went here, lying to Chino that I'll just go get some fresh air. Pero ang totoo, gusto ko lang talagang mag-aral ng spelling. Para sa susunod, hindi na ako kutyain na bobo o di kaya'y hindi marunong magseryoso sa trabaho.

Maybe I'll start spending my lunch break here for the rest of the month. Para matuto ako ng spelling. Maganda naman pala ang rooftop ni Sir Archean dito. It has small cushion chairs and it has long white metal grids that have crawling plants with it. I even noticed some fairy lights hanging above, together with the plants. Siguro mas maganda dito kapag gabi.

The space is open, but this place where I am sitting has a transparent roof that protects the pieces of furniture from getting wet when it rains.

Ting!

The chime pulled me out of my trance.

I immediately flipped the screen to check for the spelling. I was disappointed when it said Extravagant.

"Ano ba naman 'yan! Kanina pa 'ko walang tama dito, ah." Reklamo ko habang nagkakamot ng ulo. "Last na lang talaga... kapag mali pa 'to..." I murmur to myself, feeling frustrated because I can't fucking spell right! Parating mali! Parating baligtad ang mga letters! Parating may kulang!

"Did you get it right? Congratulations!"

No, I didn't. Dumbass. Maybe you should ask your viewers to spell 'Dog' next time.

"Now our next word is Spontaneous. Spell Spontaneous... Spontaneous."

Again, I flip my phone and start jotting the words.

"Spon...taneous..." I murmur to myself as I jot every letter down. I hope this is right. Please, I just need one right answer.

I felt one of my earphones, leaving my ear.

"You're doing good... just replace the 'e' to 'a'..."

"Ahh!" I clutch my chest when the voice coming on my side startled me. Ikiniling ko ang ulo ko sa gawi niya, I saw that familiar black suit, so I jerked my chin up so that I could see his face and confirm my theory.

My heart began to pound on its ribcage the second my eyes meet his... those ocean blue eyes. He's currently leaning towards me, one of his arm is resting on top of the backrest of my small round cushion chair.

"Sir Archean?" I say as I frantically clamp my notebook shut. I even removed the other earphones and press the exit on my YouTube app.

His gaze fell down on the things on my lap, but then he brought his gaze back to my face.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him, still feeling my heart pounding like there's no tomorrow.

Dammit he saw me spelling the word spontaneous wrong! Bakit ba kasi bigla-bigla na lamang siyang sumusulpot?!