Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Through Black and White

I woke up with an empty space beside mine. I looked at the bedside clock, it was five in the morning. My body used to wake up at this time, no matter how tired I was the night before, I'd always wake up at five in the morning because I loved making breakfast for my husband.

I loved preparing his office attire and watch that matches the color of his coat. I loved putting his necktie on for him and I loved kissing him before he leaves for work.

But now, it seems like I am doing them because I was programmed to do them. Not because I love to do them just like I used to. I don't even feel the same butterflies on my stomach anymore at the thought of taking care of my husband.

I went to the bathroom, brushing my teeth and fixing myself a bit before I came down to prepare breakfast. I don't even know where Archean is. By this time, if he isn't spooning me on the bed, he'd be in the shower, preparing for work.

Nang tuluyan na akong makababa ng hagdanan ay natigilan ako nang matanaw ko si Archean at si Emma na nag-uusap sa may pintuan.

Archean was wearing a plain grey shirt and a white sweatpants, his hair disheveled.

"Are you sure you're alright?" I hear Emma ask him.

That was just a simple question but somehow it managed to send a pang on my chest. It pains me to hear that genuine and concern question being asked to my husband by another woman.

Kasi ako, hindi ko na matandaan kung kailan ang huling beses na tinatanong ko siya kung okay lang ba siya.

"Yeah, yeah... I'm great. Just work stuff. Thank you for asking." It was Archean's polite response.

Emma went silent for a few seconds, inspecting Archean as if she wasn't convinced but then she just lets go of it anyway and decides to hand him the red box that she's carrying.

"Here's some butterscotch that I baked. Tell Olivia she can come to my house anytime if she wants to know the procedure and recipe," I hear her say.

"Thank you, Emma. I will tell her." Archean accepts the box and after that, Emma leaves and Archean closes the door. He spins around with a box of butterscotch on his hand, but he freezes on his tracks the second he sees me standing at the bottom of the stairs.

And now I understand why Emma made sure if Archean was really okay. His eyes are slightly puffy and he has dark circles under them. He looks stressed out. Like a Hollywood star on the verge of ending his career.

"Butterscotch," he plainly says, slightly raising the box in the air to show me. "Bigay ni Emma," he casually added before taking steps towards the kitchen. I didn't say anything, I just silently followed him.

When we both reached the kitchen, he set the box down on the marble table before walking towards the cupboard to grab himself a glass.

I silently walked towards the fridge, taking out two pieces of eggs so I could prepare him french toast before he go to work.

"Emma's extra beautiful today," I find myself saying as I take out the bread in the pantry.

He didn't say anything or comment anything about my attempt to open a topic about Emma. Boy, that bitch isn't a bitch after all. We even got a bit close when Archean and I got married.

She did admit that she had a huge crush on my husband and she did try seducing him by submitting a manuscript that consists of her dirty thoughts about him.

We both just laughed it off and then she taught me how to bake apple pie. We got close enough that when I suggested that she should open her own pastry shop, she listened.