Hallway Encounters

Hallway Encounters

  Rereading the street sign Harper blew a gust of air out in an exaggerated sigh, as much as she would have liked to drive away from the small bookshop she was currency parked in front she knew she couldn't. Given her situation she needed help mainly because she had no clue about what exactly she got herself into, literally.

Glancing down a the contract on her lap she shook her head. After scrubbing his touch  off, Harper ditched a few hours of sleep in a vain attempt to at trying to understand the terms in which she had to now follow and that ended with a monster headache and a strange sense of dèjá vù of her high school math class. The simple paragraphs were made up of too many details of the set of rules, restrictions and no indication of how to break the contract. After over an hour of trying to understand the first paragraph Harper decided to visit an old 'source' who specialized in the dark world. It required swallowing her pride and driving back to the neighborhood where many of the people who either worked for her father or knew him well lived there.

Dragging in a long breath she throw the door open and swung her legs out, contract in hand she started toward the green door before she could convince herself to leave. Standing where she had over eight years ago, Harper felt the memory of her last days as a hunter swarm back, beckoning her to drown in the memories when a small figure strolled by the front window. Pausing, the petite woman squinted at Harper before recognition hit her.

Unlocking the door she studied Harper for a moment "Is it really you Harp?" she asked

It was Harper's turn to study the young woman over, noticing she hadn't aged a day since they first met when her father brought her here when she first entered the field of hunting. Her pixie styled black hair was tucked behind her ears, her eyes the same warm shade of amber concealing what the small woman has seen in her lifetime and her signature ruby red lipstick staining her lips. Dressed in her usual tight fitting graphic T-shirt and faded white wash jeans, a pair of over sized hoop earrings in her ears she looked like your typical young lady, except she wasn't.

"You haven't changed a bit Elena." she admitted, despite her hatred for the memories the small woman brought back, Harper smiled "Still dressing like you don't have a mirror."

"Holy fück, it's actually you." she laughed before slapping her arm

Stepping aside she motioned for Harper to enter the old shop. Conflicted with whether she should leave early Harper entered, the wooden floor creaked with every step she took further into the shop like it always did. For a moment she looked around, her eyes skimming across the shelves over stuffed with old books behind the counter. The lower shelves stacked with small trinkets gullible humans came in to buy in desperation, blind to what they were signing up for. Looking around she was shocked to see nothing had changed in the small magic shop. It's as if time had ceased to move in the tiny building. Much like the owner the shop hadn't changed, sporting the same thick, ancient books containing the history of magic and the world that came with it. Too many grandfather clocks in each corner of the room, ticking with the seconds that passed. Small tables were scattered with cliché 'magical' objects that came the false hope and lots of trouble. False spells hung on the walls, attracting those wanna be witches in with the details of their purpose. Elena enjoyed toying with humans who seek help from the beyond.

"You're still messing with humans, I can see." Harper snorted as she fingered the twin beaded bracelets that had a tag on them, claiming the wearer would be under a spell of devotion to the owner of the other bracelet.

She scoffed "You'd think they'd learn their lesson, magic is a mess and not meant to use like a toy."     

"Is it wise to complain about business?" Harper questioned