A Promise of Death

A Promise of Death

  Staring at her twin Harper offered him a shaky smile. "Liam, what a surprise."

  He flashed her a boyish grin, lifting the bag in his hand he gave the contents a gentle shake. "I brought breakfast."

  Despite her unease she stepped aside and motioned for him to enter. Closing the door behind him Harper wrung her fingers together as she followed him. Of all the days her brother could have came over he chose today, the day after Kiev and she agreed to causally fück. He chose today of all days when she only recently received a lavender spray that could -or couldn't conceal the scent of Kiev all over her.

"I stopped by the bakery downtown and got you're favorite." Rolling the top of the bag open he pulled out a familiar sugar dusted pastry. "Cinnamon and sugar encrusted pretzel twists."

"No way." Harper laughed already reaching for the braided pastry her concerns momentarily sliding to the back burner. Taking a large bite she moaned her delight. "How did you manage to snag a bag of these, they sell out in minutes." She asked through a mouth full.

Shrugging carelessly he pulled a twist out for himself. "It's no big deal, really. All I did was wake up before the sun and wait on line for the bakery to open."

Pausing mid bite Harper stared unblinkingly at her twin who had to be insane to wake up before dawn to retrieve her all time favorite treat. The selfless actions of her twin caused her heart to swell with love for her other half. Wrapping an arm around his neck she gave him a quick squeeze and mumbled a heartfelt thank you.

"I felt terrible about the way we parted yesterday." He began to apologize but Harper dismissed his apology with a wave of her hand.

  She couldn't blame Liam for remaining silent in front of the elders. He might be her brother but he was also a Hunter. That meant his duty was towards the organization and his loyalty. Although she didn't like to admit it she knew her brothers priority was with the Hunters before her, they were raised to put the future of their people before their own personal needs. She might have walked away from that life but her twin didn't and it wouldn't be fair of her to force him to leave the only life he new.

"It's cool, I know they're your commanders and duty requires blah, blah, blah..."

Liam shook his head at her teasing response, the tension leaving his shoulders as soon as she forgave him.

"Coffee would go great with these." Harper said before taking another bite. Walking towards the coffee maker she pulled out two mugs and filled them. Recalling her brother preferred no sugar she proceeded to cream his mug while dumping too many spoons of sugar into her own. As she placed the mugs down before her brother she noticed his attention was elsewhere. Turning her gaze to the floor where he nudged a shard of porcelain aside Harper nearly fainted.

  Her heart skipped a beat as Liam squatted down and lifted what little remained of her original breakfast. She had completely forgotten all about the mess, distracted by Kiev's very talented mouth but if she remembered clearly Kiev was the one to push the plate and mug aside. His scent was all over the shattered mess, which Harper had failed to douse in the lavender spray. Fear gripped her heart, squeezing the already pounding organ as she watched her twin examine the shard.

Stepping forward Harper pushed the shard out of his hand just as he had been lifting it closer to his face where he'd definitely catch a whiff of a demon scent.