Self Afflicted

Self Afflicted

Kiev's POV

Glancing over his shoulder Kiev tightened his hand on the handle of the car to keep from reaching across the hand rest and grabbing Harper by the shoulder, to force her to look at him not out the window. Flexing his free hand over his knee Kiev stared at the back of her head. Her long brown tresses were pulled back to one side by a gold encrusted clip, and the light dusting of gold across her cheekbones, over the bridge of her nose and powdered over her hair. Paired with the ivory satin gown Harper resembled a virginal goddess and he was under her spell.

He still couldn't believe she had come down to Sinful and as a dancer of all things! His blood boiled in his veins at the reminder of Harper straddling the wolf! Gritting his teeth Kiev forced the image of Harper tossing her head to one side as she dipped her head to his ear, her voice low and sultry. No man, no person, would ever feel Harper's soft lips against his ear or hear the husky tone of arousal in her voice, to see the shiny glaze of lust shimmering in her eyes. Anger and envy sliced through him, the pair of emotions wrapped around his heart and squeezed the cursed organ that had ceased to ache since spotting Harper.

  Every cell in his body ached to touch her, to wrap her trembling form in his arms and protect her from their world. From himself.

   With her arms crossed beneath her breasts and her body facing the window Harper was completely ignoring him. A small smile tugged at his lips as he remembered her exasperated huff when he transported into her car. It hadn't occurred to him that she wouldn't listen to him until he was halfway across the main room. She didn't fight him when he slid his extended hands out to take the steering wheel from her. Staring daggers at him she crossed her arms and turned away from him without a single word. He didn't expect to be welcomed with open arms but he sure wasn't expecting the cold shoulder. But you deserve it.

   The shadows resting on her lap hissed in agreement, slithering across her torso and wrapped tightly around her possessively. A sense of betrayal washed over him. For the first time in his life Kiev's shadows weren't obeying him. The reason he was currently driving with his extended hands was due to the sad and infuriating fact that his shadows weren't obeying him. Upon being anywhere near Harper they attach themselves to her, quite literally. She didn't know it but they would did anything she asked of them, there was no command they would refuse her. A minor annoying perk all thanks to the damn curse. Harper had no idea what sort of power she wielded over him.

"Can you get these things off of me?"

Although she hadn't turned around to face him she did acknowledge his presence by speaking and that was something, right?

"I will, if you tell me why you were at my club." He lied knowing he wouldn't be able to get hi shadows to separate from her so soon.

"I don't mind them." She countered with her back still to him.

Glancing down at the slender darkness caressing her hands and rubbing along her fingers encrusted in dried blood, his blood. Without understanding why Kiev reached his hand out and tentatively laced his clean fingers with the ink like blood coating her fingers. Harper tensed and the movement didn't go unnoticed by him. She tried to tug herself free but he only tightened his grip on her. Needing to feel her after having only dreams to get him through the days he needed to feel her, skin to skin, with no barrier between them. Even if it was something as simple as hand holding.

"Let go of me." She hissed venomously.

The shadows on her arms rose from their resting place and mimicked her hiss. Blinking away his shock he wondered if she noticed what she unintentionally did but found her shoulders rigid as she continued to stare out at the passing buildings. With one last squeeze Kiev released her hand much to his reluctance to do so. Yanking her hand far from his reach Harper tucked her hand between her knees without so much as a twitch of her head.