Brothers' Quarrel

Brothers' Quarrel

Kiev's POV

Leaning further against the leather chair Kiev released a long breath and watched as the grey smoke swirled and twirled before him. Glancing down at the cigarette between his fingers Kiev brought it up to his lips and dragged in a deep breath and held in the smoke for a moment, enjoying the tingling it caused in his chest. Parting his lips he released the smoke and watched the silent dance before finding it more appealing than that of the two women before him.

Lifting his gaze up Kiev stared past the young woman sitting before him and over to where two redheads moved elegantly to the sultry music above them. Their bodies twisting and turning, hips swishing from side to side, their hands lacking together as they bent in unison. His eyes grazed over their bare skin, following the sheer red fabric as it slid across their glistening bodies. This use to appeal to him, watching his girls dancing together but not anymore. Bringing the cigarette up to his mouth he sucked in a lung full of the smoke to distract himself from the truth lying just beneath the surface.

  You're a fücking mess!

  Tilting his head upwards Kiev released the smoke above him in one long puff. He needed to clear his head from all these distractions, too much was riding on him to have his head clouded with these small changes. His kingdom needed him, his brother's life hung in the balance. With the lives of his people weighting heavily on his shoulders Kiev tore his gaze away from the dancers and back to the small woman before him. He swallowed hard as his gaze swept over her finding his thoughts darkening with the newfound guilt that plagued him.

"Are you listening to a word I'm saying?" The petite woman exclaimed, her eyes widening.

"Not really, no." Kiev replied honestly. Her eyes were the same soft caramel brown as Harper's. Their father's eyes he realized.

"I took a huge risk coming down here and you're not even paying attention you fücking asshòle!" She screeched.

Gritting his teeth Kiev narrowed his gaze in on her scolding face. "You knew this would be risky when you took my offer. Don't come around expecting empathy from me."

"I'm being investigated by my own brother!" Olivia shouted as she jumped onto her feet.

Her outburst caught the attention of the two dancers, they shared a confused look stopping in mid step. One thing Kiev remembered his father telling him was never show weakness amongst your peers. Steeling his features Kiev rolled his fingers so the cigarette fell into his palm. Closing his fist over the cigarette Kiev heard his skin burning as it was extinguished and brought his fist down hard onto the table top. The table trembled and shook under his fist as a wave of ashen gray cloud shot forward filling the entire room in a dark fog. Olivia gasped stumbling backwards as the ash circled her trembling form. The two dancers shrieked in horror as the smoke twisted and turned across their bare skin.

   Olivia met his hardened gaze and quickly averted her fear filled gaze away from his. Her tough façade crumbling in the face of a challenge.

"Sit." Kiev hissed venomously. Tilting his head toward the gem adjourned stage to where the two females trembled on their stilettos, their faces pale as they weaved their fingers together. Like frightened children the two redheads wrapped their arms around each other, eyes wide with fright as they stared down at the cloud creeping up their bodies with a soft hiss. "I don't pay you to stand there." He spat causing the two women to flinch at his tone.

Their discomfort flooded around the room interlaced with pure fear. The emotions were sticky and bitter in his mouth, unfamiliar to him. The terror on his girls' faces didn't sit well with him, he never spoke to his girls in this matter. A wave of shame washed over him as the two redheads released their hold on each other and very slowly started moving to the music. Their bodies no longer moved fluently, their expression lost its seductive stare, and the way they kept their eyes firmly of the ground didn't sit well with him.