Eye Spy

Eye Spy 

Catching her bottom lip between her teeth Harper glanced over her shoulder for any sign of pedestrians before she gripped the metal bars with both hands. Huffing out a breath she mustered all her strength and very slowly pulled herself off the ground. Gritting her teeth she ignored the aching in her triceps and continued to pull herself up as her legs kicked wildly in the hopes of getting her further over the metal gates.

"I really need to hit the gym." She grunted. Squeezing her eyes shut she pressed both feet against the iron gates and leapt forward. Not anticipating to get far with the leap Harper didn't prepare herself to actually get across on the first try. Her eyes widened into saucers as she felt her body tumble over the gate like a sack of potatoes. With a thud she landed face first into the perfectly mowed lawn.

"Fück, that hurt." Harper mumbled as she sat up.

Rubbing at the dull ache in her chest Harper stood wondering when she would be able to breathe normally again. Since Kiev had gone all ape shít on her five days ago her chest would hurt and sometimes like now breathing would be much more difficult than it should be. Kiev offered to heal her claiming that would be the only way she'd feel better but she wasn't ready for that level of intimacy with him. If she was being honest a part of her still feared him, the part of her that couldn't forget the bottomless pits that were his eyes. She didn't tell him as much but she was sure Kiev knew why she continued to turn him away and he hasn't pushed her on the matter. He shows up, reaches for her only to have her shrug his touch away and remains in her apartment watching as she pretends to keep busy. He wouldn't say a word, wouldn't move from whatever seat he's taken. He would just sit in complete silence and watch her with a closed off expression. It was strange and part of her wondered if this was some sort of trick or if he was genuinely sorry for what he did.

Focus Harper! Shaking all thoughts of Kiev away Harper turned back to the task at hand, sneaking into her father's house.

Shoving her hand in her back pocket she switched her phone to silent and slid it back in place. She watched enough moves to know that your phone was your enemy when you're trying to sneak in anywhere and she did not want to get caught, especially since this wasn't a social visit. At the reminder Harper pulled the small tracker from the front pocket of her jeans. If things didn't go as she hoped they would with Olivia she would have to place a bug on her sister. It was a last resort but she didn't have much choice. The lockdown was called off three days ago and she still hadn't heard a word from Olivia.

  In a desperate attempt to receive a response Harper asked to meet her about the 'pest' problem she had. Olivia didn't reply, not a single word. Harper didn't know why but the way her sister ignored her recently gave her a feeling something was not right. So here she was sneaking into her childhood home at nine thirty in the morning on a Saturday morning.

Returning the small bug back into her pocket she sprinted across the grass and not the walkway as a small 'fück you' to her father. Reaching the left wing of the luxurious one family home Harper pressed herself against the brick wall and walked to the back where Olivia's room was. Glancing up at the column that stood a bit to the left of Olivia's bedroom window Harper groaned.

"I should have brought a ladder." She mumbled miserably and hugged the pillar.

Recalling her training days as a huntress she wrapped her legs around the pillar and with her arms jerked forward. After an agonizing five minutes Harper had finally reached the top, her arms ached, her thighs throbbed and she was sure she tore her jeans from behind but she had made it. With a deep breath she swung forward and gripped the edge of the windowsill. Releasing her hold on the pillar she swung her body towards the window only to feel her body drop slightly.