XXVII

Aella places her travel bag on the seat in the back of the car, and turns to me. Tears sit, waiting to pour out of my eyes.

"It's just a few days, Topolina." She tries to reassure me. That just makes it worse. I want to go with her now.

When she walks up to me, Aella grabs onto my hips and pulls me into her. I stare up at her, and she down at me. "I know. But I'm still going to miss you."

"I know, Darling." She places a kiss on the top of my nose. "But I will see you at the airport on Friday, and I'll take you home for your first authentic Italian dinner."

Then, Aella places her lips on mine. We kiss so slow, and I realize this will be my last kiss from her for a few days. I've been near her every minute of everyday for almost two months now, and it's suddenly ending. It's going to be hard to just get cut off like that.

"Ma'am", her driver speaks, crossing his hands in front of him. Aella's lips escape mine, and I feel vaguely empty. "The car is ready, the plane will be ready very soon for you."

The family plane takes off when we tell it, but Papa wants her on a strict schedule to get settled in with her House.

"Thank you", Aella turns to him. He nods and walks over, getting into his driver's seat. She turns back to me, whispering: "Where was I?"

I giggle as we start to kiss again. She holds me close to her body, keeping me there while she plants hot kisses on my lips.

The front door of the house opens behind me, and Aella and I practically throw each other away. There, stands my parents. Mama has a smirk on her face, and Papa has a stone cold look as always.

Papa comes walking down first, Mama a step behind. "Aella, please call as soon as you get into Rome, your car will be waiting for you there to take you to la tua casa."

Aella stands straight to attention to my father, who has his hands behind his back, meaning he means business. She nods. "Yes, Signore."

"Penelope will join you in a few days. I trust you'll take good care of her while she's there."

"Gesù, Marcello. Peneleope is moving there." Mama groans. "She's not going on a trip."

Papa blinks. "She will be taken care of, yes?"

Aella nods again. "Of course, Signore. I will protect her with my life."

"Good", Papa smiles. "Travel safe. I will talk with you once you reach Rome."

Papa walks his stiff body back into the house, leaving us with Mama.

"Oh, you know Marcello", Mama rolls her eyes. "Come here, Aella."

Aella lets a breath out, and Mama runs over to hug her. "I'm going to miss you so much. You've been such a treat to have here."

Aella doesn't seem like the lovey, fuzzy type, so it's funny watching Mama make such a fuss over her. Aella looks slightly uncomfortable, but holds it back.

"It's been amazing to be here, Mrs. Costa." Aella responds. "I'll take great care of Penelope when she joins me."

Mama lets go of Aella. "I know you will, Sweetheart. You are an amazing woman."

Aella nods in appreciation. "I should probably get going. I have a lot to do in Rome."

"Yes, yes", Mama agrees. "I'll let you two say goodbye."

Mama goes back into the house, the door slamming behind her. Aella takes me into her arms again. "I love you very much, Topolina."

"I love you so much."

She plants a kiss on my cheek, then on the other, then my nose, then my forehead, and then finally on my lips. I giggle a little. "You're ridiculous".

"If that's what you want to call it."

"I'll see you soon", I tell her, planting a kiss on her cheek. She smiles under my touch.

"Our life together will be perfect. I can't wait for you to see the house."

"I will see you on the tarmac in eight days."

Aella and I kiss for a moment one more time, neither of us wanting it to end. She digs in her kiss once more, then lets go. This time, I really do feel empty.

"I love you, Topolina."

"I love you, too".

Aella lets go of me and goes to get in the car. She turns once more, to see me crying. She chuckles to herself and once again comes back to me. Aella places her palm on my cheek, wiping my tears away with the pad of her thumb. "it's just a few days."

"I know", I try to laugh. More tears come out though.

"Ma'am", the driver says once again to Aella. He seems to be a bit annoyed.

"I do have to go, Darling."

"I'll see you soon."

She wipes the last few tears away, and returns to the car, getting in this time. Aella buckles her seatbelt, and almost immediately, the driver starts out of the horseshoe.

I watch the car drive away until I can't see the car anymore.