XXX

I press my head against the window as we drive through the countryside on our way to our new home. I do my very best to not fall asleep, but I don't do very well once I pass a certain level of tiredness. Aella's hand rests on my thigh, her finger drawing small circles over the material of my pants.

I've missed the countryside of Italy so much. The way the hills roll, how green the grass is, and how beautiful the old farms and wineries are. The stone houses with clay roofing are everything I remember. Papa and Mama had a small house when I was little, where I was born, but we moved to the City a few years after, so I don't remember a lot of it.

It takes about half an hour to get far enough around Rome to get to the house. It's like out of a movie when the house appears. We drive past a rolling hill, and on the other side, on a hill much taller, sits the house surrounded by huge olive and cypress trees. The huge driveway winds up the hill to a fountain in the main drive.

I audibly gasp when I see the house, and I hear Aella chuckle beside me. She squeezes my thigh gently. I turn to look at her, and she's already staring at me. "It's beautiful, isn't it?"

"That's the most stunning house I have ever seen."

Aella leans over and presses a kiss to my cheek. "It's ours, Amore Mio."

The car takes a turn to the house and up the driveway. It's lined perfectly with flower bushes and plants. The car wheels rumble over the cobblestone stairs, just as it does in every road in the city.

We stop at the top of the drive, right next to the fountain. I open the door and start to step out. I look up to the doorway. At the top of the front steps is my sister.

I rush to get out of the car, running up the stairs. "Mari." We run up to each other and grab each other in a huge hug. We rock on our feet, and both of us are laughing in joy.

"Oh, I've missed you, Little Sister." She lets go of me, but holds onto my shoulders, looking over me. "You look amazing."

I look over her as well. She's wearing a brown skirt with suspenders, kind of like overalls, and a baby blue sweater underneath. I look back down and see...

"Mari, are you-?"

"Surprise", she giggles. "You're gonna be an auntie."

Her baby bump is small, but noticeable still when you know Mari the way I do. "Oh my god, Mari", I take her back in another hug. "I'm so happy for you and Angelo."

As if on cue, Angelo walks out of the house. I let go of Mari and give Angelo a small hug, greeting him. He bends down and kisses both cheeks, as we do in Italy. "Congratulations". He thanks me.

Behind me, Aella comes walking up the steps. She stops behind me, her front on my back. "Congratulations, to the both of you." I can hear the smile in her voice. "It's good to finally meet you, Angelo." They shakes hands.

"How long are you here?" I ask Mari and Angelo.

"Only until tomorrow", Mari sighs. "But I had to make sure you got to Rome safely. This house is gorgeous."

"Speaking of which." Aella clears her throat. "Let's get you introduced to everyone else. It's going to be a long day, Topolina."

"Yes, yes", Mari agrees. "I have to go pick up our dresses for the party tonight, so Angelo and I will be back later."

I turn to Aella. "Party?"

"Yes, Darling. It's tradition." Aella smiles down at me. "Heads of House will all be here tonight from around the country to greet you and I, as the newest Head of House and their partner."

I had totally forgotten about that. I went to one when I was little, when Papa still worked here in Italy, before he became Don.

"I'll see you later, Pen", Mari places a kiss on my cheek and starts to walk down the steps, Angelo behind her. "Don't worry about your dress. It's absolutely beautiful. Picked it out myself."

Aella steps around me. She grabs my hand softly. "Are you ready to see your new house. Our new house?"

I smile up at Aella, who smiles at me. "I'm so excited."

"Come in, My love".

Together, we step into the huge entry way of the house. All of the walls are made of stone. Huge mirrors hang on the wall next to the entry to what looks like the living room, which reflects light through the whole foyer. Aella walks me through to the living room.

It's an absolutely stunning room. The room just flows together, with a huge wheel-like chandelier hanging above. Above everything, in an open concept to the next story of the house. There is a walkway above us on the front side of the house, connecting to some sort of living space. There is so much natural light coming in all the huge picture windows.

We go back through the foyer to the other side of the house. There is the kitchen, a small dining room, and a few offices for Aella and her assistants. She leads me back to her office. When she opens the door, Aella pulls me in, then closes the door again.

The office is bright, but very simple. The wall behind Aella's desk is full of books and journals. Her desk is a dark oak, and everything is in perfect order.

Aella pulls me over to her, and she leans back against her desk. She opens her legs a little bit for me to stand between. Butterflies tumble around in my tummy, both in nerve and excitement. I drape my arms over her shoulders, and she holds onto my hips.

"I've missed you so, Topolina."

She pulls me closer, so close, our foreheads touch ever so softly. She always smells so good of her cologne. There's no way she wears perfume, it just doesn't smell like it would be.

"I love you", I whisper, our lips now just an inch apart.

Aella smiles, our lips continuing to get closer together. Her hands squeeze my hips a little tighter. "I love you endlessly."

And then we kiss. It's slow, and beautiful. I love when our kisses are slow. It makes me truly realize that we're no longer just friends with benefits, using each other for sex. Even though we have yet to call each other our girlfriends, clearly we're more serious than friends. We live together as of today, we love each other. I still know little about her personal life, but she's my best friend.

I know I will love her forever.