Chapter 13

Dwayne leaned against the back of the elevator, a respectable three feet away from her. Externally, he appeared to be the very model of effortless ease. Internally, however, his thoughts had devolved into a running stream of, "...youpromisedyoupromisedyoupromised..."

He wanted, no needed nothing more than to crush Lauren against him and taste her lips; to press them together and learn the landscape of her curves; to bury his nose in the cleft between her tits and breathe in her delectable aroma.

But, he'd promised. Best behavior, and 'keep your hands to yourself.'

And he was a man of his word.

Her hand reached across the gap between them, "Here, as long as we're exchanging peace offerings."

Between her middle and index fingers, she pinched a folded bundle of cash.

"What's this?"

"I emptied your wallet before I ditched your car." She sighed, "and I also spent most of it. Sorry."

Dwayne shook his head. "Keep it."

Her hand lowered, "Keep it?"

"If it led to tonight, then it's the best money I've ever spent."

The elevator dinged, and the doors opened to reveal the lobby.

Leaning down, Dwayne picked up her duffel bag and led the way out to the street.

"How are you getting back to your friends' place?" He set her bag down next to her feet, sneaking a glance at her truly exquisite legs.

"I've got a car coming. You?"

He took a ticket out of his suit jacket and handed it to the waiting valet.

"You're driving?" Her voice took on a slight tone of disapproval.

"Yes?"

"We had the same amount to drink. You're sure that's safe?"

He smirked, "I'm twice your body mass, love. I'll be fine, but I appreciate your concern."

They spent a moment in silence, and when he glanced over at her, she looked back.

Her eyes narrowed, curious, "So, that's it?"

"Yes?"

She raised her eyebrows, "Huh."

"What?"

"I was really sure you'd try to talk me into something. You know, I'm tipsy, the ambiance up there was very romantic, and we are clearly very attracted to each other?"

"Baby, I'm a little hurt."

"Hurt?"

"You really think I'd be so short sighted?"

"Maybe..."

"Convincing you to come back to my suite with me would result in a night of intense physical satisfaction for the both of us, but it would be at the cost of your trust.

"Now, if I were less principled, and my goal was simply to slake my lust, that cost might be acceptable. But, since I like my partners to be sober and giving me enthusiastic consent, it's a non-starter.

"Also, I want you in my bed on a till-death-do-we-part type basis, and taking advantage of your inebriation isn't a solid foundation for that."

She shook her head, stunned, "Your self-confidence is really something to behold."

"Here's the thing, Lauren; one trait that our ancestral halves shared was their use of persistence hunting. Wolves and humans – they didn't have to be the fastest or the strongest because all they really needed was to outlast their prey.

"I don't have to press the issue, love, I just have to outlast your doubts."

His car arrived, and he traded the valet a suitable tip in exchange for his keys. "I'll talk to you tomorrow – sweet dreams."

Up in his suite, Dwayne lounged on the couch, suit discarded in favor of black boxer-briefs. He'd just finished checking in with his second-in-command, Oscar, relieved but unsurprised to find that things were running smoothly in his absence.

There was just one more thing to check on.

Navigating to his recent calls, he dialed and brought his phone up to his ear.

The voice on the other end mumbled, "You prick, I was taking a nap!"

"Sorry about that, Steve. Just calling to see how the search is going."

Steve groaned, and from the rustling it sounded like he was sitting up. "No luck. I asked all of the friendlies, and nobody's seen her. You could ask the unfriendlies if you want to, but they're not likely to tell either you or I anything. I think she's long gone."

Dwayne scratched at his beard stubble. "Huh. Well, that's unfortunate."

"Yeah, sorry about that. Any luck on your end?"

"A bit. I had dinner with her tonight."

Silence on the other end.

Dwayne continued, "She said she was staying with 'friends'."

"Dwayne-"

"You know exactly where she is, don't you?"

Steve sighed. "I do."

"Is she safe?"

Steve paused. "Very."

"Are they good people?"

"The best."

"Okay. That's all I needed."

Steve's incredulity oozed through the phone. "Really?"

"Yep."

"Huh."

"I'll let you get back to your nap."

"Alright."

"One thing though," Dwayne began, "the next time you try to lie to me, remember that I pay your tuition."

"You're such a dick."

Dwayne smirked. "Love you too."