Chapter 46

In the lobby, I ignored several surprised guests as I raced up toward the guest services counter.

Iris watched my approach with wide eyes. "Lauren? What happened?"

I didn't answer, instead laying the valet ticket on the countertop.

"I need his keys."

She looked down at the ticket, then back up at me. "Lauren, I can't do that." She shook her head, "I would get instantly fired."

"Please?" Swallowing, I fought back tears, "Please. I fucked up, and I have to go make it right."

"I..."

"Iris, please."

Her eyes squeezed shut. "Goddamnit."

Sighing, she snatched the ticket off of the counter. Leading the way out the door, she strode up to the valet stand and handed the ticket to the uniformed young man.

As he eyed the ticket, he froze.

"Iris..."

"I know."

"This is the Alpha's car."

"I know, Nate."

"You can't be serious-"

I interrupted, "It's an emergency."

His gaze fixed on me. "It's grand theft auto!"

"I'll take full responsibility – he's already pissed at me."

Iris stared him down. "Nate, just hand over the damn thing."

Grumbling, Nate dug around, pulling out a familiar set of keys.

Snatching it out of his hand, Iris held onto it for a moment, eyes wary.

"Promise me that we're not going to get in trouble over this."

"I promise."

Cold tears dried stiff on my face as I sped down the darkened lakeside road. The bright arcs of the headlights cut through the gloom as my mind raced, trying to figure out a plan for when I arrived.

What could I say to him?

I grimaced.

Nothing could be worse that what I'd already said.

Guiding the car around a familiar curve, I slowed down, watching for the turn off to Dwayne's place.

My eyes caught the red flash of twin driveway reflectors.

Making a sudden left, I accelerated up the steep, paved path, turning into the clearing that held Dwayne's house, garage, and outbuildings.

Hand on the gearshift, I put the car in park before whipping off the seatbelt and opening the door.

From the shadows on the front porch, I heard a muttered epithet.

There was a pouring sound, then the 'thunk' of glass on wood. "In case I wasn't clear enough earlier, Lauren, let me spell it out for you: I am really not in the mood for this right now."

Taking a breath, I stood up straight and walked over toward him.

Dwayne watched me through narrowed eyes, one hand wrapped around a full tumbler of whisky while the half-empty bottle sat before him. He looked better than he had any right to, dressed in a worn pair of shorts and radiating anger.