Chapter 38

We walked into Gusto, arm in arm, and I watched as the hostess caught sight of us, eyes widening with the universally recognizable shock of "Oh, shit, it's my boss."

She made a smooth recovery, giving us a megawatt smile as she picked up a set of menus and guided us to a secluded booth.

When she left to get us waters, I leaned over the table and whispered, "What do you want to bet she's going to the kitchen to warn them you're here?"

Dwayne looked at me over the top of his menu. "You seem to think that my employees are scared of me."

I cocked an eyebrow. "Did you not sense her panicking?"

Setting his menu down, Dwayne looked at me and smirked. "How do you know that she's not worried about impressing you?"

I snorted, "Me? Yeah, right. I spent the afternoon getting tipsy in a neon bikini – I don't think anybody's too concerned about impressing me."

Dwayne reached across the table, taking my hand in his. "Lauren, you're my mate. You're going to be an important part of this pack." He paused, correcting himself, "That is, if you want to be. You're worth impressing."

I froze, feeling my blood turn to ice in my veins.

"Lauren?" The concern in his voice broke me out of my paralysis.

Of course. He's an Alpha.

Accepting him meant accepting all of the baggage that his position came with.

Dwayne's hand squeezed mine. "Lauren, talk to me."

"What?"

"I can feel you overthinking. What's on your mind?"

I shook my head. "It's nothing."

"It's worrying you, so it's not nothing."

Sighing, I glanced away, looking out over the muted lighting of the restaurant. "I've just never really understood it, you know?"

"Understood what?"

"The expectations people put on an Alpha's mate." I shrugged my shoulders. "Like, sharing a mate bond isn't a guarantee that you're both going to have a talent for leadership, or even the desire to lead."

"And you're worried about what people will expect of you?"

Meeting his gaze, I nodded. "It's just beginning to hit me, now that we're here and I'm starting to meet some of your packmates."

Dwayne's eyes captured me with their warmth and care. "Lauren, your role in my pack is entirely up to you – I chose this life, but I would never want you to take on any responsibility that you didn't ask for."

"I know..." I gave him a small smile, "I know, and believe me, I'm grateful. I just always expected to stay under the radar and..." my gaze scanned over the room, "...the extra scrutiny is going to take a little getting used to."

He ran his thumb over the back of my hand. "If it's too much, I could always join your pack."

I snorted, looking down my menu, "Very funny."

Dwayne's next words had my attention snapping to him: "I'm not joking."

What?

I stared at him, examining his expression and finding nothing but absolute sincerity.

Hesitatingly, I asked, "You'd give this up?"

He nodded.

I tilted my head to the side, brow creasing with confusion. "Wh-"

Dwayne shrugged, nonchalant. "I want to be with you. If moving to West Virginia is what it takes for that to happen, then I'll move to West Virginia."

Stunned speechless, I could only sit there in mute silence as the hostess returned with our waters.

Giving my hand one final squeeze, Dwayne picked up his menu as I fought the sudden, inexplicable urge to cry.

I finished the last sip of my glass of pinot noir, letting my leg brush against Dwayne's under the table.

"Would you like some more?" Dwayne made a move to pick up the bottle we'd shared and nearly finished.

I set the glass down, smiling wryly. "I mean, it would be a shame to waste it..."

Dwayne nodded with mock gravity, "Truly shameful."

"How much is left?" I asked.

Holding it up to the light, he squinted and said, "Half a glass? Maybe less?"

I slid the glass across the tablecloth, sighing. "Fine, twist my arm."

As he poured, Dwayne looked up, his eyes catching on something behind me.

Turning, I saw a short man in a white chef's coat approaching us.

As I glanced at Dwayne, I saw him mouth the word, "Ulf".

Turning back, I watched as Ulf arrived, greeting Dwayne.

"Alpha, I heard we had the pleasure of hosting you tonight!" Glancing over at me, he asked, "Would you care to introduce me to your lovely companion?"

Dwayne shot me an amused grin before saying, "Chef Ulf, this is Lauren. Lauren, this is Chef Ulf. Ulf has been instrumental to establishing our reputation for impeccable fine dining experiences."

This short exchange told me everything I needed to know about the evidently temperamental genius before me.

Flatter him.

I held out my hand and we shook. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Chef. I have to say, the duck confit was sublime."

He smiled, pleased. "Why, thank you. I have always had a fondness for classic French cuisine."

Leaning forward, I lowered my voice. "I have to ask; the sauce – did you use a stout for the base?"

His eyebrows raised, "Yes, it's a milk stout from one of our local breweries."

I sat back, grinning. "Absolutely inspired."

Ulf shook his head, "It's not often that my more subtle touches are so appreciated."

"That's a pity – you're doing the kind of work that most chefs can only dream of."

"Oh?"

I elaborated, "You get to build a menu catering to a werewolf's sense of taste," I chuckled, "It's like other chefs are leading marching bands, but you get to conduct a symphony of flavors."

Quirking an eyebrow, Ulf turned to Dwayne, "I like her – try and keep her around, will you?"

Dwayne, watching this interaction with a faint smirk, replied, "I'm going to do my best."

A/N: Sorry for the delay - migraines are a bitch.