Chapter 19

Walking through the doors of the Ivy, I felt acutely out of place. The staff members and the handful of guests I could see wore clothes that showed their quality and cost. Meanwhile, I was wearing jean shorts and a cheap tank top.

The front desk clerk eyed me strangely, and I walked toward her, pulling my sunglasses off of my face and placing them on top of my head.

"Hi! I'm meeting one of your guests for lunch?"

The woman smiled, professional to a fault. "May I ask their name?"

I froze momentarily, blushing as I realized how little I knew about my destined mate. "Dwayne, in suite eighteen."

She lifted the receiver of the phone up to her ear and dialed. I tried to keep my features blank, not wanting to betray exactly how uncomfortable I felt.

Behind me, a devastatingly masculine voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Lauren! I was worried that you were going to stand me up!"

Smiling, I turned, "Well, I agreed to lunch, and I keep my promises."

And then the sight in front of me halted all thought.

Dwayne, eyes shaded by sunglasses, legs encased by damningly well-fitting jeans, arms exposed by the short sleeves of his white polo.

Tattooed arms.

My eyes followed the intricate ink designs from his mid-forearm up until they disappeared under his sleeves.

He had those hidden?

I'd only ever seen him wearing dress shirts and suit jackets. I had no clue.

My blood heated as I wondered what else he was hiding from my view.

"-Lauren?"

I snapped back to the present, realizing that I'd been staring. "Sorry, what?"

His head tilted slightly, his brow furrowing, "I asked if you're ready to go?"

"Yep." I answered, "although you haven't told me where we're going, and I'm starting to worry."

"Don't." He smiled, "we're going on a picnic."

"A picnic?"

"I could use a little greenery after four days in the city, and I thought that you might feel the same."

God, yes. Being surrounded by concrete and steel was a novel experience for me, but it was rapidly losing its appeal.

I nodded, "Good call. City park?"

"State park, actually. It's about an hour's drive away."

"Walking trails?" I asked.

"And beaches – it's on the bay."

I pulled my sunglasses down over my eyes. "Sounds amazing – let's go."

He grinned and led the way out to the waiting car.

His car.

I smirked, realizing that this would be my first time riding in the passenger seat.

Sliding in, I buckled the seatbelt and waited for Dwayne.

He opened the door, settling in as his scent filled the enclosed air.

Oh, Goddess. My fingers dug into my thighs as I tried and failed to resist the effect that he had on me.

"Ready?"

Was it my imagination, or did his voice sound huskier?

Licking my lips, I nodded.