Chapter 50

I heard my alarm begin to sound from over on the rough-hewn wooden nightstand.

In the larger of the two bedrooms in the log cabin guest house, I hadn't gotten much of a nap. I'd tried, but my brain had been too keyed up about the coming evening to fall asleep.

Walking around the king-size bed I silenced it.

Sprawled out on his stomach, Dwayne groaned into his pillow.

"There's no way that was an hour."

Walking back over to the dresser where I was laying out our party clothes, I admitted, "You're right."

He raised his head, confused. "Huh?"

I smirked, "It was an hour and a half."

With a grunt, he let his face fall onto the pillow.

Setting the rolled bundle of his shirt next to mine, I climbed onto the bed, straddling him as I began to rub his shoulders and back.

"How are you feeling?"

His head tilted up slightly, "Like I could sleep for a week. Why didn't we fly out on Friday?"

"Hey, you bought the tickets."

Dwayne grumbled, "I hate flying."

"No kidding." Kneading one particularly tight knot of muscle, I smiled. "I can't tell you how much I appreciate that you flew with me anyway."

"Anytime, Baby."

"Well, speaking of time, we need to start getting ready if we don't want to be late."

Dwayne snorted. "That's a terrible segue."

I stopped massaging him. "Hush, or I'll make you shower alone."

Dwayne's head snapped up, turning to watch me out of the corner of his eye. "You wouldn't be that cruel."

Leaning forward, I whispered, "Then don't make fun of my wordplay."

Dwayne parked along the gravel driveway to the two-story farmhouse. As he stepped out, I closed my eyes and sucked in a breath. My heart hammered in my chest, and my hands felt sweaty against the envelope.

How ridiculous... I was about to give a card to the man I'd once planned to give myself to.

Oh, Goddess. This was a mistake...

I felt the panic rising in my chest. Was it too late to turn around? We could head back to the airport, pick a destination at random and spend the weekend in a bed far away from here.

Dwayne cut through my thoughts, opening the door and holding his hand out.

Glancing up, I saw his concern as he took in my unease.

He knelt down, bringing himself to eye-level and pulling my hand into his.

"Babe?"

My voice was shaky, "I don't know if I can do this..."

He squeezed my hand. "You're overthinking it, I promise-"

"What if I'm not?"

He sighed, running his thumb across my knuckles. "Then we make an appearance, circulate for about an hour, and I spend the rest of the weekend making you scream my name."

A ghost of a smile appeared on my lips. "Promise?"

He grinned, "Anytime, anywhere."

"How scandalous!" I chided softly.