The Phone Call~ Chapter 5

Jay's P.O.V

A few weeks later Me, Hailey and Erin are on the couch watching a movie when we get a call to go into work. "Seriously these criminals can't take a break for 2 hours so we can watch one movie!" Erin complains while getting up and grabbing her jacket. "Looks like we will have to finish this later." I say while getting up and getting mine and Hailey's coats. "We should really talk about wedding planning." Hailey says while walking out the door, which by then Erin was already in the car. "What were you thinking?" I ask her. "Well obviously a small simple wedding with our friends." She says while getting in the car. "That sounds amazing to me." I tell her with a smile. "Took ya long enough Halstead. What were you doing? Petting puppies?" Erin asks with a glair. "There were no puppy's I just didn't run down the stairs." I tell her. "Well looks like you haven't lost your sarcasm." She says sarcastically. "Well neither have you." I tell her which makes her laugh like she used to. Seeing Erin smile like that made me remember how amazing it felt to be with her. Even though I'm with Hailey I still think about Erin every day and sometimes at night, just something about being with her felt different than it does with Hailey. When we get to work Erin rushes up to stairs and into the building leaving me and Hailey in the car. "I say we get married next month, the weather will be decent, and everyone can easily take off work." Hailey says while looking over at me. "If you want that then let's do that, I'll let you deal with the planning, and I'll get everything set up to make sure it's a perfect day for you." I tell her while grabbing her hand and smiling at her. "I got lucky with you; you truly are an amazing person but an even better soon to be husband." She says smiling. Me and Hailey spend a few minutes in the car talking about more plans before heading upstairs. When we get up there Hank is already talking about the case and ignoring us for being late at least for now. Me and Erin had gotten in the car to go question some of the victim's family and friends, I notice how she seemed tensed up and distracted by something. "Erin I can tell something is wrong, please tell me what's going on." I look over at her and say, she instantly seemed more distracted. "It's really nothing, but you and Upton huh, how's that going?" She asks while trying to change the subject, so she didn't have to answer my question. "It's going good, but something is definitely up and you're not telling me, I've known you for a while, hell I even dated you, I know when you change the subject something is wrong, so open up and tell me. I tell her sternly, knowing it should work. She parks the car then looks at me. "It's just that what happened to this girl could have easily happened to me when I was 15 if it wasn't for Hank and Camille. She gets out of the car, and I follow her, hugging her letting her know everything was alright. Even just simple hugs or anything brings up old feelings and memories I can never seem to forget especially now, standing here by the car, hugging her while she try's her best no to break down. Just then Adam's car pulls up behind us and him and Hailey get out. "Everything alright?" Adam asks with a concerned tone of voice. I look down at Erin who just shakes her head no. I look back at Adam and signal to him that it wasn't. Adam walks over and pulls Erin out of my arms and hugs her. "Jay let's go inside Adam can stay out here with her." Hailey says while heading towards the door of the house. "Hailey, you don't have to be like that." But before I can finish my sentence, she cuts me off. "Be like what Jay??" "Like that, the girl who just walks back in and everyone accepts it, like the person who took my partner, the person who stood hugging you acting like she was dating you, and the person who is currently having a break down in my NEW partners arms." Hailey says while aggressively pointing at Erin, more anger in her voice after each word. "First of all, she's not just a girl, second of all, she's my friend and third of all we will finish this conversation at home." I tell her trying to hold back the anger in my voice. After that I look away from her and neither one of us exchange a word or look towards each other.