The Unexpected Boredom

Waking up in the morning was not as easy as it should have been. River was exhausted from the previous day's events and she found herself unwilling to move from Minho's bed. Rolling over to check if he was still asleep, she was surprised to see that Minho was gone. Suddenly, River felt disappointed. Her only friend in the Glade was gone for the whole day and she would be left on her own. 

        After convincing herself that she was strong enough to face the day, River groaned and sat up, swinging her legs over the side of the bed. As her toes connected with the wooden floors, she sighed. She wished she could just curl back up into a ball and spend the day under the covers. But she knew that she had to prove that she could be a part of the Glade just as much as everyone else was.

        Walking out into the fresh air, she ran her hand through her tangled hair, trying to tame whatever mess was on top of her head. Looking around the Glade, her eyes landed on a familiar face.

        "Newt!" She shouted, half-jogging over to meet him.

        "Well, good morning!" He smiled, hands on his hips.

        "So, does the tour start now or...?" Her voice trailed off, expecting an answer.

        "Well I suggest that you get some breakfast, and then I assume Alby will be ready for you by then." Newt pointed towards a line of people waiting to be fed. River nodded and gave a little wave as she ran in the direction of food.

        Standing in line, River's stomach started to growl. Her mouth began to water when she saw that what she was having for breakfast was bacon and eggs. She could hardly stop herself from stuffing the food into her mouth at top speed. She hadn't eaten at all yesterday, so she probably looked like a pack of wolves eating its prey. 

        "River." A voice came heard from above her. River looked up, mouth full of eggs, and saw Alby standing there. "Good food?" River nodded enthusiastically before swallowing her food and standing up.

        "So, where are we going to start?" River followed Alby as he began walking across the Glade, always in front of her.

        "Well I hope you're not afraid of heights." He didn't bother turning around. River was about to ask why before she saw it. A giant treehouse-like structure. And she was going to climb it.

        When they reached the top, River walked straight towards the edge, placing her palms over the railing and looked out. She could see to the far corners of the Glade from here.

        "This is all we got." Alby joined her at the railing, looking off into the Glade as well. "If you respect this place, we'll get along just fine." River nodded in response. "We only have three rules. First, do your part. No time for any freeloaders. Second, never harm another glader. None of this works if we don't have trust. And most importantly, never go beyond those walls."

        "The maze, right?" River was insanely curious. Alby nodded.

        "The only people allowed outside of these walls are the runners."

        "And... how would I go about becoming a runner?" River had to be able to leave this place. She couldn't imagine spending however long trapped inside these four walls. She had to have at least some freedom.

        "Well first you'd have to talk to the keeper. Lucky for you that's Minho. Then he tests you, trains you, sees if you got what it takes. Because if you're not back before those doors close, you're stuck out there for the night. And no one has ever survived a night in the maze." River pretended that she hadn't heard that last part before, as she wasn't sure if Newt was really supposed to tell her before the tour.

        The rest of the day was slow. Alby decided to give her the day off so she could look around a bit. No one really talked to her, and she wasn't sure if it was because no one wanted to, or if she was too intimidating. Being the only girl here really had its down sides. 

        By the time Minho returned, River was bored out of her mind. She ran up to him the minute he entered the Glade. He was bent over, hands on his knees, panting. Sweat was dripping down his forehead. He smiled when he saw her.

        "Hey, Greenie. Long day?" He inhaled sharp breaths while speaking, making it almost difficult to understand.

        "First of all, it's River. I don't like being called Greenie. Second of all, longest day ever. No one would even talk to me. I just wandered around the whole time kicking grass."

        "Hey, what did the grass ever do to you?" Minho joked. He straightened out his posture before starting to walk away. 

        Ignoring his joke, RIver continued talking while strolling beside him. "So, do you wanna cause some trouble around the Glade?" Minho laughed.

        "I would love to, but I have to map out my progress for the day. But I'll catch you after dinner, okay?" After hearing his words, River groaned.

        "That's like another two hours!" She whined.

        "Have you met Thomas yet?" Minho ignored her complaint.

        River shook her head. "Not that I can remember." Minho stopped walking, nearing the forest. River remembered it having a specific name, but she couldn't remember it.

        "Try talking to him. He should be done mapping by now. He'll probably be with Newt if you want to find him."     

        "Okay, I'll look for him." River sighed, wishing they could just jump into the pranks instead of waiting some more.

        "Alright, catch ya later, Greenie." Minho winked before jogging off into the forest.

        "River!" She corrected him as he disappeared into the trees.

______________________________________________________

Author's Note

So a bit of a filler chapter. Sorry about that. Also sorry for not writing for a while, I just haven't felt any inspiration. But I'm really excited to keep writing again. It will be hard to update more, seeing as I now have two stories on the go. The other one is a Stiles Stilinski fanfic if you want to check it out. Thank you again for reading!! The next chapter will be more exciting. It will be basically building the friendship between Minho and River. Because you have to have friendship before a relationship!

Marin