The Unexpected Progression

The next morning, River woke up with a start. For a second she forgot where she was, but the panic subsided when her surroundings became familiar. She was still deemed 'too sick' to leave to homestead, and she was okay with that.

"I could use a break." River told herself, but try as she may, she found it difficult to relax when the dream she had the day before was still haunting her mind.

By the time hour six of total confinement came around, she was itching to get out. Jeff hadn't visited her for at least an hour and she was praying for him to come in again so she had someone to talk to.

Every second seemed like an hour, and the silence around her was incredibly loud. She could barely hear any noises from the surrounding Glade.

Another hour passed by, and River had had enough. She couldn't stand being in there anymore, no matter how hard she tried to convince herself that she could. Before she could think about it, she suddenly found herself out of bed and on her feet.

She stood there for a moment, trying to not to fall over as the dizziness overcame her. When her head cleared, she took a step forward, then another, and another.

When she reached the door, she poked her head out slowly, looking left and right to see if anyone was coming. She was met with an empty hallway, and she took this as her chance to make a mad dash for it.

Sprinting out into the Glade, River spotted a familiar blond haired boy chopping up a tree stump by the deadheads. She slowed down as she reached him, running a hand through her messy hair, trying to tame it.

"Hey, Newtie!" Newt groaned in response.

"Don't call me Newtie."

"Nah, I think I'll still call you that." River smiled. "Need some help?"

"No, I - wait. Did Jeff let you out?" Newt stopped chopping at the stump and let his arm holding the axe drop loosely to his side.

"I let myself out."

"River!" Newt sighed. "You can't do that! You bloody passed out yesterday!"

"I know I did, but I couldn't be trapped in there anymore. I needed some fresh air."

"Go back to bed, River." Newt started whacking the axe into the stump again, causing pieces of wood to fall off onto the ground. River rolled her eyes and started walking back to the homestead when her eyes caught onto a certain runner bolting into the Glade. She started to run up to him, hoping he could entertain her.

"Minho I -"

"They're gone." Minho cut her off as he gasped for breath. He didn't seem panicked or scared, just excited and curious.

"Gone?" River repeated, furrowing her brow in confusion.

"The plaques, they're gone. I can see where they used to be on the walls, but all of them are gone!" His voice was rushed as he tried to get his point across.

"Okay, well that's not necessarily a bad thing, is it?" River places her hand on Minho's arm, trying to comfort him.

"Someone's been in the maze, River. Someone's been here. And if it only took them one night to get in, get rid of the plaques, and get out, then why can't we do it?"

"Okay, but this doesn't change anything. We still don't know how to get out, or even where the exit is."

"Yeah but here's the best part, I found something."

"Found what?" River's heart started beating hard in her chest, it was so loud that she was almost worried that Minho could hear it.

"A dead griever."

"A dead one?" River said, her voice dripping with doubt. "Are you sure it was actually dead?"

"Yes, I'm sure. And tomorrow, we're assembling a team to go out and look for it"

"Well, alright. But if this griever isn't dead and it kills me, I will kill you." River glared at Minho as he just laughed.

"Come on, I'm starving. Lets go grab some dinner." He said, starting to walk away before he realized that River wasn't following.

"Yeah... about that... I'm not supposed to be up actually."

"Jeff didn't let you out?"

"No, I just left. I felt trapped in there, it was so boring!"

"If Jeff finds you, he will kill you."

"Exactly! Which is why you're going to go get dinner for me, and then we'll eat in the map room." Minho sighed before walking off to get dinner for the both of them, while River headed off to the map room.

She was sitting crosslegged on the floor, picking at her nails out of sheer boredom. When Minho finally entered, she shot up off of the floor and grabbed her dinner right from his hands.

"Woah!" He said she he watched her waste no time while she shovelled food into her mouth. "You weren't hungry at all."

"Listen okay, Jeff didn't bring me breakfast or lunch. God knows if I stayed in there he would have starved me.

The two runners munched on their food while joking about things going on in the Glade. It had been silent for about thirty seconds when River heard Minho chuckle. She looked up and saw that he was staring at her.

"What?" She asked.

"You've got sauce on your face!" He laughed. River reached her hand up to try and wipe it off but failed.

"No, on the other side." Minho continued to laugh as River failed wiping it off her face once more. "Here, wait a second." He reached his hand up to her face and used his thumb to wipe off the smear of sauce on her cheek. When his hand left her face, River blushed and looked away. Did he have to act like this around her? It was making her stomach erupt in butterflies.

When the two finished their food, they walked out of the map room side by side, entering the clearing of the Glade.

"River! There you are!" River heard a voice interrupt her and Minho's conversation and whipped her head to the direction it was coming from. There stood Jeff, looking incredibly annoyed.

He walked up quickly and grabbed her arm, forcefully pulling her back to the homestead. River turned around and gave a small smile and a nervous wave to Minho, who only laughed in response.

_____________________________________

Author's Note

Why hello again! I have to warn you that updates might be about a week apart from now until the middle of June because of school. You know what it's like at the end of the year. But I'll try and update as often as possible.

Thanks for reading! <3

Marin