The Unexpected Love

Minho's eyes widened as he realized what he had said. River's heart stopped, and butterflies filled her stomach. Did she love Minho?

"Shit. I'm such an idiot. I totally get it if you don't love me back. You don't even have to say anything." He was incredibly flustered. River struggled to find words. She couldn't get her mouth to cooperate with her mind.

"But... if you did say something that would be cool too." Minho begged.

"I don't know if I love you." River responded honestly. The look of hurt in Minho's eyes broke her heart, so she continued on quickly. "But I do know that I really, really like you."

The brokenness from Minho's eyes disappeared and was replaced with pure joy. "I can work with that." He smiled.

"I can too." River couldn't have smiled wider, she was almost sure she looked insane. They held onto that moment, just smiling at each other, butterflies swirling in their stomachs.

"I knew there was something special about you when you came up the box." Minho exhaled.

"Don't go all sappy on me now!" River playfully slapped his arm.

"It's true!" Minho defended. "It's like I've known you all my life."

"Maybe you have." River stared at him, biting her lip.

"We better get back." Minho said, breaking the moment.

"Yeah, yeah." River shook her head slightly, stepping away. "You're right. They're probably wondering if you killed me or not."

Before she could turn around, Minho had grabbed her wrist, pulling her closer suddenly. Before River could comprehend it, Minho had wrapped his arms around her and placed his lips on hers.

River felt completely weak. Her stomach was exploding and her thoughts were swirling in her head. His lips were soft and comforting, and made her feel at home. The kiss was filled with passion and conveyed feelings they weren't able to get out verbally. When Minho finally stepped back, the two were out of breath.

"Sorry, I couldn't help it." Minho apologized, but River knew he didn't regret it.

"I'm glad you did it."

"Yeah, me too." He caved. The two began to head back out into the Glade. River was confused at where they stood. Were they together? She felt awkward asking, as if she should already know. She'd like to think they were together, but Minho hadn't asked her. River mentally scolded herself for not having more knowledge on this topic.

When the two walked back out into the Glade, Newt and Thomas were in their path. They both stood, conversing about what had happened and how they could fix it. They turned to River and Minho as they entered.

"Minho kill you?" Newt speculated, raising his eyebrows towards River.

"Something like that." She responded, a smile spread across her face. Confusion was evident on Newt and Thomas's faces.

"What?" Thomas asked for clarification.

"You know what, it doesn't matter." Newt shook it off. "We really need to focus on what happened last night. Can the four of us talk?"

River, Thomas, and Minho nodded as they began to walk towards the homestead.

The building was in rough shape. There were spots where it was obvious a fire was put out, and holes everywhere. River looked up as they walked toward it and saw the hole the griever made when it was trying to kill Chuck. She shivered.

The three climbed up the stairs and entered a bedroom. River assumed it was Newt's. She had never been in his room, but it looked a lot like Minho's. The three crossed the floor of the room to the other side. Newt must want to keep this conversation quiet from the rest of the Glade. Usually he would address this with everyone, but it was just the three of them. River knew what he wanted to talk about and her stomach clenched from the memory. She wondered why Newt didn't want to talk about this with anyone else.

"So... you know what we're all here for." Newt looked at each of them with a serious expression. It had been a while since River had seen Newt genuinely happy and carefree. The stress of being in charge of this place must be getting to him.

"The doors didn't close last night." River finished for him. Newt nodded his head slightly.

"Exactly. Now what I want to know is why."

"They want us out of here." Thomas stepped forward. "They're giving us a push to solve the maze faster."

"Some push." Minho rolled his eyes. River placed a hand on his shoulder comfortingly.

"How can you be sure?" Newt furrowed his brow.

"Well we've made it this far, why would we just be killed now?"

"We've been through everything just shy of death. Why not make the grand finale now?" Minho crossed his arms.

"Well if we make it out of the maze maybe we won't have to live to see this 'grand finale'." River spoke up, looking around at the boys. Her eyes lingered on Minho for a little longer.

"We can't just solve the maze. It's not that simple." Minho argued.

"Minho... the hole." As River said it, Minho's eyes widened with hope.

"The hole?" Newt repeated, staring at Minho and River, begging them to go on. They started retelling the story as it happened. The rocks disappearing, their speculations about the grievers. When they finished, Thomas and Newt's mouths were wide open.

"This could be our way out!" Thomas practically squealed, and River had to stifle a laugh.

"Could be..." Newt bit his lip, deep in thought. "We need to tell everyone else."

"Tomorrow." River said, running her hand through her hair. "People need time to rest and deal with what happened."

"Then it's settled!" Newt clapped loudly, getting ready to leave. "Tomorrow we tell them!"

____________________________________

Author's Note

Hello again! Sorry it took me a million years to update!! There's two more weeks of school right now and I'm practically in hell. I wanna thank you guys for pushing me to write, it means a lot!

Marin <3