The Unexpected Partnership

She was sitting on a bed in a plain white room, and her clothes were white to match. It was dead quiet as she fiddled with her fingers. A door to her right suddenly opened, which apparently scared her as she jumped back across the bed. She let out the breath she was holding as the person entered the room.

        "River?" Their voice was soft and it appeared as though they were trying to soothe her. River must have been about thirteen because as she stood up, she noticed how short she was.

        "It's time isn't it?" Tears threatened to spill over River's cheeks.

        "Yes, I'm sorry." It sounded as though she cared, but the woman's eyes were stone cold. No emotion was shining through them.

        "Please no. Don't do this!" River cried.

        "River, I'm sorry." The woman held out her hand for me to take. "But it's time to say goodbye to your friends."

        River woke up in Minho's arms. Not in a romantic way but in an "I just passed out and I guess someone needed to catch me before I hit the ground" kind of way. His eyes were full of worry, and they had a hint of fear in them.

        "River, are you okay?" He asked her, his arms gripping her tighter. River looked around to see a group of Gladers crowding around them, watching the scene unfold.

        "Yeah, I'm fine." She pulled herself up from Minho's grip and took a seat on a chair. "I guess I'm still a bit in shock about this whole situation." She put a hand to her head. She wasn't going to let anyone know what happened, because that would just make things worse. Not only would she be the only girl, but she'd be crazy to boot. There's no way the verdict would turn out in her favour that way.

        "See? The shank can't even last two hours here!" Gally shouted out from the crowd, throwing an arm in her direction.

        "Gally you shut your shuck mouth right now or I swear to-" Minho started before he was cut off by Newt.

        "Everyone sit back down. The greenie's awake, so we can continue." His accent filled the room as everyone scrambled to take their seats.

        "Okay, carrying on." Alby began the gathering again. "We will go through all the keepers who will share their opinions on what should happen with this. Starting from the left."

        Some keepers didn't like the idea of River being there, but others thought she should be treated like a normal Glader. River was appreciative to those people, seeing as being a Glader seemed like the only option that didn't sound like a gateway to death. When it was Newt's turn, he stood up.

        "You know, I wasn't so sure about this whole thing earlier. I thought something was up, and that she would only bring trouble. That is until I talked to her. She completely changed my opinion. It made me see that she's just like us, so why should we treat her any differently?" Newt sat back down and gave her a small smile. River exhaled in relief. The relief didn't last long as she saw that the next one to speak was Gally.

        "Something not right here." He started. "You'd have to be blind not to see it. The creators sending a girl, saying she's the last one ever? I say that this is just another obstacle being thrown at us and so we should treat her like one. How do we know for sure that she really doesn't know anything? I say we banish her. Better safe than sorry." Gally finished talking and River scanned the room with her eyes. A few looked as though they agreed, but the majority seemed to be on her side. That's when her eyes locked on Minho.

        He was mad, it was easy to see. His jaw was clenched and he was sitting there with his arms folded across his chest. Why was he so upset? That's when he stood up.