The Unexpected Loss

It had been a long night for River. She spent it lying beside the doors, desperate to be there right when they opened. She had almost convinced herself that they were coming back.

    "Come on," she mumbled under her breath, "it's Minho, Thomas, and Alby. There's no way they're not going to be there." It was hard to convince herself when the looks on the faces of other Gladers didn't exactly back her up.

    Finally, the doors gave a giant groan and began to pull apart. River scrambled up off of the ground and stood facing the widening gap. Other Gladers had begun to take their place behind her, hoping to see some familiar faces on the other side.

    When River was able to see into the maze, the sight she was faced with plunged her heart into her stomach. There was no one there. Sighing and shaking their heads, the other Gladers slumped back to get breakfast. River stayed. Forcing tears back, she spun on her heels and started walking towards the map room.

    "River! What the bloody hell are you doing?" Newt shouted from behind her, having an idea of where she was going. He ran up to her, hopping a little bit because of his limp.

    "I'm going in." She stated simply, refusing to turn around and look at him as she walked faster to get her gear.

    "To the maze?" Newt furrowed his brow, following quickly behind her.

    "Yes, to the maze."

    "No you're not." Newt chuckled, finding it amusing.

    "Yes, I am."

    "No, you're not." Newt said, a bit firmer this time. River stopped suddenly and turned around to face Newt.

    "I have to go in there. I have to find them!" She threw her arms in the air.

    "River. They're gone. There's nothing you can do about it now." It was obvious Newt was trying to hide his pain as he put on a brave face. More for his own benefit than River's.

    "You don't know that. No one knows that for sure." River took a step closer to the tall boy in front of her. "And no one is going to find out unless I go in."

    "River, let's talk about this!" Newt pleaded.

    "There's nothing to talk about, Newt." River turned and started walking to the map room again.

    Gearing up, River found her backpack a bit heavier. Either that or it was the giant weight of pressure on her shoulders. She had no idea what she was doing, but she knew she had to do it. There was still a chance that they were alive, and if they were, River was certain that she would find them.

    Exiting the map room and walking out into the rest of the Glade, River noticed that almost all eyes were on her. Newt must have told everyone what she was doing. She groaned under her breath and ran towards an open gap in the walls to her right.

    As soon as her feet landed on the maze floor, she felt like she was in a foreign country. The sound from the Glade died out, and she was met with complete silence. She immediately felt terrified, it was completely different being on her own.

    Her footsteps echoed on the concrete floor as she ran through the passageways, her breath shortening as she pushed off of her feet with every step. She didn't have a set path to run in, she just turned down different corners and tried to remember the path she had taken to get there. Eventually, she lost track of where she was.

    She had been running for over two hours and she realized that she wouldn't be able to find her way back on her own. Every turn she took looked the exact same. Even the ivy on the walls of the maze were in familiar patterns across the stone. She wondered, for a moment, if she was going in circles.