The Unexpected Feeling

A month passed by and things were pretty much normal in the Glade. Alby was gone, and Newt took his place. The position of second in command was no longer taken, as Newt couldn't find the 'right person'.

River had been running in the maze almost every day, and she still hadn't grown tired of it. Every day brought out its own excitement, its own adventure. Sometimes she forgot that she was trapped here. Her friends around the Glade really helped to to make this experience more bearable.

As she stood with Newt in the treehouse, River looked out into the Glade. It was early evening and the cool air felt nice on her skin. The sounds of conversation from below her were just white noise as she turned around to face the tall blond behind her.

"Why didn't you pick Minho to be second in command? He'd be great at it." River asked.

"Well he's not around until the evening, I need someone to be here all day. I considered you as well you know. But considering you're also a runner..."

"Is there no one else in the Glade that you'd think about?"

"No, I mean no one I would trust enough. Cause I mean, everyones got their own jobs that they're good at, and I don't want to tear them away from that."

"True." River nodded in agreement.

"Why do you want me to have a second in command so badly?" Newt raised his eyebrow.

"I don't know, you just seem... stressed. Like being in charge of this whole place is a giant weight on your shoulders. I just want to make it easier for you. It's not difficult to notice that you've practically been wearing a permanent frown on your face since you took over." River smiled warmly.

"I have not!" Newt defended himself.

"I would say 'be careful when frowning that much, your face might get stuck that way' but apparently it already has!"

"Alright listen here, shuckface!" Newt laughed and gave her a friendly punch in the arm, causing River to laugh as well.

"Seriously though, if you need me to help out with anything, just let me know."

"Thanks, River. That means a lot. Now go back down there and get some dinner!" Newt pointed towards the ladder that lead down to the rest of the Glade.

Now with a full stomach, River searched the entire Glade looking for Minho. She started getting more and more frustrated as she searched wall to wall, without a sign of the boy.

"The place is only so big. Where the hell could he be?" She grumbled to herself while staring at her feet as she walked.

Suddenly, River collided with something, hard. Stumbling backwards, River looked up at what she had hit, or rather, who she had hit. Standing in front of her, she saw the smiling face of Minho.

"Where have you been?!" River threw her arms up for emphasis.

"I was looking for you!" He said, throwing his arms up too to mock her. River began laughing.

"That's why we couldn't find each other? Wow." She continued to giggle, before snorting. Embarrassed, River hoped that Minho hadn't noticed. Unfortunately for her, a smile appeared on Minho's face, growing wider by the second.

"Did you just snort?" He said slowly.

"What? No!" That may have been believable if River's face wasn't bright red with embarrassment.

"That was so adorable!" Minho laughed.

"I didn't snort!" River continued to deny it.

"Yes, you did! Don't even try to tell me otherwise, I know what I heard."

"Ugh! You're totally going to tease me about this forever aren't you?" River groaned.

"Oh, absolutely. No way you're getting out of this one!"

"You know what, I don't even want to tell you about what I was coming to find you for."

"What? No! You can't do that!"

"Oh, I can, and I will. And you're going to wish you heard it."

"I'm sure it was so interesting, that my life will be empty without it." Sarcasm dripped from his voice.

"Oh it was interesting alright. It was another prank we could pull on Gally."

"Now you have to tell me."

"Hmm, I don't think I will." River turned around and started walking away. "Make it up to me and I'll think about it!" River called back to him, leaving him there sulking.

River walked into the deadheads. That had become the place that she liked to do most of her thinking nowadays. She sat there every night and collected her thoughts. She found it to be the best way to keep herself grounded while in here. River sat, leaning up against a tree and began to let her mind wander.

To her confusion, it wandered mostly towards Minho. It had been doing this for the past few days. It wandered to his eyes, and how they held onto hers. It wandered to his smile, which made her stomach twist. It wandered to his personality. How it could be joyful and fun, but was also serious, and how he took on a real leadership role in the Glade when needed.

The fact that it wandered to him so often concerned her. Was she developing feelings for him? Of course not, he was Minho. Her best friend. Her partner in crime. And even if she did develop feelings for him, he could never see her as anything more than a friend.

She brushed off the thought and tried to think of something else, but it was difficult for her. So she gave up and pushed herself into a standing position, brushing the dirt off of her legs. She exited the deadheads and walked towards the homestead. She decided to go to bed early tonight, she was a bit out of it today.

Walking into the room, she threw herself onto the bed, staring at the ceiling. She quickly started to drift, the exhaustion finally settling in. She instantly fell into a restful sleep, still on top of the covers of the bed.

About two hours later, River woke to the sound of Minho entering the room. She heard him shuffling around for a minute or two, before he walked to the side of the bed.

Suddenly, she felt something cover her, warming her instantly. Minho had covered River in a blanket. She grabbed a bit of it in her fist before pulling it closer to her face, still keeping her eyes shut.

"G'night shuckface." Minho whispered, the smile on his face apparent as River fell back to sleep.

_________________________________________

Author's Note

Well hello again! It's been a few days, so sorry about that. I've been super busy with school stuff. But woah River might like Minho! We're getting somewhere here people!

So yeah, I'll hopefully be uploading again tomorrow. Thanks again for reading!

Marin