The Unexpected Voice

It was silent for a moment before everyone started talking at once. The noise grew and grew as they tried to talk over each other, and River almost felt suffocated by the sound. She looked at all of the boys, scanning their faces. Suddenly self conscious, she tucked a strand of blonde hair behind her ear.        

        "What do they mean she's the last one?" Newt glanced over at her, confusion in his eyes.

        "They mean she's the last greenie. We ain't getting another one. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get any more supplies either." 

        "Hey slintheads!" A boy with black hair and an infectious smile ran up from behind River. She hated to admit it, but he was attractive. He stopped in his tracks the second he saw her. "No way." his eyes grew wide as he looked at her. River tried not to hold his eye contact because it felt awkward, but there was something about him that felt familiar.

        "Hi!" She smiled meekly, giving a little wave while doing so. He stepped towards her and smirked.

        "Hey." he winked at her.

        "Minho, stop flirting with the greenie." Alby groaned. Minho stepped back a bit and River allowed herself to chuckle. She began to feel a lot more calm. Within a few seconds the environment had turned from life or death to at least a little more accepting.

        "Greenie?" River questioned, being pulled back to her senses. She suddenly felt more confident and curious, rather than self conscious and terrified. 

        "There'll be a gathering in an hour. Until then, she gets put in the slammer." Alby didn't bother to answer her, but that's not what caught her attention.

        "The slammer?!" The fear stabbed River in her chest and she knew that she had to get out. The atmosphere had changed back to life or death, but this time she was ready. There was no way in hell they were putting her in a slammer. Just as Newt began to walk towards her, she took off running in the opposite direction. 

        Heading towards a large opening in the walls, River's feet pounded on the ground, but that was nothing compared to the pounding in her chest. At this point, she didn't care what was outside. The real danger was inside, she decided. Shouts could be heard coming from behind her, telling River to stop. She only increased her speed. 

        River inspected the opening as she ran. Outside there seemed to be some kind of corridor covered in ivy. It didn't look like the most welcoming place, but at least no one out there was trying to put her in a slammer.

        She had almost reached the gap when a powerful force pushed her to the ground. Laying there on her stomach, River tried to catch her breath. Whoever was on top of her tried to do the same. River flipped herself over and found herself face to face with Minho.

        Sweat glistened on his forehead as his chest heaved in and out. He chuckled.

        "You promise not to run if I let you go?" He looked her straight in the eyes with an unreadable expression.

        "I make no promises." She smirked, staring into his brown eyes.

        "Trust me, it's a lot safer in here than it is out there."

        "Well seeing as you're laying on top of me, it looks as if I have no choice but to trust you."

He seemed to have gotten the answer that he was looking for, because Minho stood up and wiped the grass and dirt off his knees before extending his hand to her. She took it, and he gracefully pulled her up. Newt arrived in front of the two as River stood up and smiled.