The Unexpected Confession

River took a sharp turn to her left, almost toppling over with the speed. The fact that she might have feelings for her best friend continued to plague her as she ran top speed through the maze.

She was incredibly out of it, she had almost missed three turns already because of his stupid shucking face haunting her mind. The run wasn't clearing her head as much as she hoped that it would.

Her breath came out in puffs as she pushed forward, twisting her way through the maze. She was slightly worried that not being able to think straight would cause her to take a wrong turn. If that was the case, she wasn't sure how she would be able to get back. There would be no lucky breaks like with Thomas and Minho. She could only hope that this wouldn't happen.

Glancing down at her watch, River realized that she had been running for longer than usual and that she needed to head back to the Glade. Instantly turning around, she felt the pain in her left leg coming back. This time it was a sharper, more prominent pain. It went away as quickly as it had come.

Shrugging, River ran back towards the Glade, being extra careful with her left leg whenever she had to put pressure on it.

She slowed down to a jog as she ran through the doors, tightening her ponytail as she headed towards the map room. She entered the room and started heading towards the giant model of the maze before she was pinned up against the wall by an unknown force.

A pair of lips were suddenly pressed up against her own, kissing her like she was their last hope of life. She reached her two hands out to the figure's chest and pushed with all of her might, leaving the boy to stumble backwards. Who she saw in front of her startled her.

"Newt!?" She gasped. "What the hell are you doing?" Newt shrunk down under River's gaze.

"I don't know - I just thought - I mean. I'm gonna go." Newt suddenly bolted out of the map room, something that River might have found comical if not for the context.

"You've got to be kidding me." She groaned as she slide her back along the wall and sat down on the floor, her head pressed against her knees. Things were getting complicated around here. And not just because she was in a group of teenagers that had been stuck in a maze for years.

"River?" Minho entered the map room, sweat glistening on his forehead. "What's going on?" He looked down at the girl crumpled down on the floor and frowned.

"Newt kissed me." River stated simply.

"What?!"

"Yup." River popped the 'p'.

"What do you mean he kissed you?" Minho seemed to be getting angrier and angrier by the second.

"I mean when I walked in here, he put his lips against mine."

"That slinthead." Minho spit venom with his words and marched right out of the map room, presumably to find Newt. River ran out and grabbed Minho by the arm, spinning him around to face him.

"It's okay, really. I don't want you to start anything. I'm fine."

"He just kissed you! Without asking!"

"Minho, really. You need to calm down. This is not a big deal." River's eyes flickered back and forth between his.

"Not that big of a deal my ass." Minho mumbled, walking off somewhere into the Glade. River let him go, and she walked back to the map room to finish off her job for the day.

River slid down next to Minho at the dinner table and noticed that something was off.

"Where's Newt?" She asked. The three boys shared uncomfortable glances before Chuck spoke up.

"He uh, wasn't feeling well."

"Wasn't feeling well, or didn't want to see me?" River raised an eyebrow. Chuck just shrugged and sank back into his seat, looking anywhere but in her eyes.

"I'll deal with him later." River sighed. "How was your day, Thomas?" 

"It was good, I guess." He pushed the food on his plate around with his fork.

"Guys, can we just pretend that whatever happened earlier didn't happen?" River begged. Unfortunately for her, that seemed to be too much of a difficult task for the boys, as the rest of dinner contained a bunch of awkward glances and silences.

Craving to be alone, River walked along the outskirts of the deadheads and entered where she usually did, heading for her thinking spot. To her surprise, someone was already there.

Newt stood against a tree, looking the other way. River almost had the chance to walk away quickly without him noticing her, but as she did her foot snapped a twig, signalling to Newt that she was there. Newt whipped his head around to the direction of the noise and saw River standing there.

"River, can we talk?" Newt's eyes begged. He looked like he was filled to the brim with guilt. River knew she had to do this eventually, so she gulped and nodded slowly, walking towards him.

"I made a mistake, and I'm sorry. I was being stupid. It's just I've liked you for a while now."

"You have?" River was shocked to say the least. Her heart violently dropped into her stomach. She wished she could like him back. It made her feel so horrible that she had to deliver the bad news to him.

"Yeah, and I should have known you didn't reciprocate the feelings. I see the way you look at Minho. I ignore it, but I see it. I guess I just thought that I might have the slightest chance with you."

"I'm sorry Newt." It was all she could choke out.

"I know. And, for the record, Minho feels the same way about you."

"What?"

"Don't believe me? Just watch him the next time you're around him." And with that, Newt left. River stood in the deadheads for a few moments before walking out in the other direction.

Was what Newt said true? Did Minho really like River? The thought of it being possible sent the butterflies in River's stomach into a frenzy. She had to stop a smile from taking over her face as she walked towards Minho and Thomas, who were standing in the middle of the Glade talking about god knows what.

______________________________

Author's Note

Well that was a pretty dramatic chapter if I do say so myself. Unfortunately I'm not too proud of it. I couldn't really get my words out right but I guess it'll have to do!

Looks like we could have a relationship blossoming in the near future and I'm pretty excited about that. How do you guys feel about it?

Thanks again for reading! <3

Marin