The Unexpected Distraction

"River... wake up. River come on let's go." The voice was frantic, almost terrified.

"What?" River groaned, rolling over in bed. She was startled when her face found itself right in front of Minho's with only an inch or two between them. They hadn't kissed since Minho confessed his feelings for her. Although it hadn't been twenty four hours since the last one, she was counting the seconds until their lips met again. "Oh.. hey Minho!" She tried to be cool, but it didn't play out the way she had hoped.

"River, we need to go."

"Where?" Her head was still groggy from sleep and she wasn't quite awake yet.

"Out." Minho responded simply, when it clicked for River. They were going to escape. Throwing herself out of bed, she grabbed the bag that she had packed the previous night. It only included a bottle of water, a jacket, and a few hair ties. It would have to do.

The two ran out into a commotion. Gally was barking orders at people who had Thomas and Newt attached to large posts. They didn't look like they were keen on the idea of people leaving.

"Gally, what the hell are you doing?" River shouted, running over to the crowd of people forming around the scene. Thomas and Newt fought against the restraints, but they could not free themselves.

"This place... it's our home." Gally turned to address all the Gladers, whipping his head back and forth to make eye contact with every single one. "It's the only place we've ever known, why would we want to leave it?" It seemed that more than a few people were on his side, their heads nodding in agreement.

"If we don't get out of here they're going to kill us! Don't you understand that?" River pleaded with him, her heart beginning to race. 

"Yeah, come on Gally. Give it up." Minho spoke up from behind.

"What are you trying to gain? Why are you holding them here?" River gestured to where Thomas and Newt were, now calm in their restraints. They surprisingly didn't look like they were too worried about getting out anymore. It was as if they knew they'd get out eventually. The doors behind them were wide open, and looking out into the maze made River feel sick. The nerves began to take hold of her stomach.

"The doors are going to stay open tonight." Gally stated.

"How could you possibly know that?" River furrowed her brow, confused.

"Because you're not leaving. Come on, everyone!" He looked out towards everyone around him. "We've all figured it out by now! The doors will only close if we plan to leave! So when the doors don't close tonight, that's when the grievers will pile right in."

"Killing Thomas and Newt won't help you accomplish anything." River realized what he was doing. Using Thomas and Newt as a sacrifice. Her stomach dropped. She began to try and calm her voice, but it was still a bit shaky. She had no idea how she was going to convince him to let them go. That's when Newt caught her eye.

The blond haired boy was subtly trying to get her attention by staring right at her. River raised an eyebrow, waiting for Newt to explain.

"Distract him." He mouthed. River tried her best not to let out a sigh of relief. At least someone knew what they were doing. Unfortunately, before River could distract Gally, something had done it for her.

The ground shook suddenly, and violently. People were knocked to the ground, others gasping for breath. It happened so fast. Like someone had hit a drum. The shouts of shock echoed throughout the Glade, and everyone began talking over one another, speculating as to what it could have been.

No more than a second later, Newt and Thomas had sprung into action. Kicking the Glader's who held them captive against the pole, they managed to free themselves. They did it so quickly, River had no idea what had happened. While everyone was still talking, she grabbed Minho's hand and they ran to join their two friends near the door.

Gally looked mad. His face held a certain anger that sent a chill down River's spine. He looked as though he was going to argue further, but then decided against it.

"We're staying here." Gally gestured to the group of people around him that wanted to stay back. "You shuckheads can go off and get yourself killed."

"Gally, you can come with us!" Minho spoke up, his hand still clutching onto River's.

"I already told you. The Glade is my home." He rejected.

"Gally, please. If you stay here you'll be killed. All of you will! Just come with us!" River stared straight into his eyes, hoping to get the message across.

"I belong to the Glade!" He cried out, clearly not going to change his mind any time soon. He turned quickly, beginning to discuss something with the boy beside him. River took this as an opportunity to leave the conversation. 

Running her hands through her hair and groaning, she turned to the group that had formed behind her. Sure, people were staying with Gally, but more people were going with them. More people wanted to escape. And they would. River was certain of it. "Alright then. Any words of encouragement?"

"Be careful. Don't die." Minho shrugged, his eyes gliding over each Glader, inspecting them. River saw his gaze drop down to Chuck, who looked incredibly pale. River made eye contact with him and gave him a small smile to let him know she was here for him.

"Great." Sarcasm dripped from River's voice in response to Minho's 'pep talk'.

"Not much to say really." Thomas craned his neck to look behind him into the maze.

"We're all gonna bloody die!" Newt groaned, throwing his head back.

"We will if that's the attitude you're going for." River sighed. It looked like she was going to have to be the positive one in this situation, and she hated that. It was silent for a moment as everyone looked around the Glade for one last time.

"Alright then." Minho took charge. "Let's go." He squeezed River's hand as she inhaled deeply. The air filled her lungs, but still didn't feel like enough. She nodded, and together they ran.

________________________________________________

Author's Note

I'm so sorry I'm the worst! It's been forever! School just finished for me and I had a ton of exams and projects to do so I kind of put this on hold. But I do have over 3k reads on this now which is pretty freaking awesome to me! So thank you so much!

For those of you who are new-ish, I'm not usually this crap at updating haha!

Thanks for reading!

Marin