𝟷𝟻

ɴɪɢʜᴛᴍᴀʀᴇs

January 1993
Aged 5

She sat in the police station, it was so cold she was practically freezing. Two police officers were sat with her one female and the other was a male. The female passed her a tissue a gentle and calming smile on her face one much like her mother's.

"Don't worry dear, I am sure they would be delighted that you will be going back home, seeing your family again. How exciting is that." She assured pulling the small girl closer comforting her.

But she didn't want to go back. She wanted to stay, with her mum and dad in their house. But she couldn't because her mum and dad were gone, she was left all on her own.

"Your auntie is coming tomorrow to take you back home, how lucky are you. I would love to go to England."

Her parents were both born and lived in England for most of their lives but decided they needed a change and that's how the three of them ended up here, in Washington. She couldn't remember much about England only that it was cold and rained a lot, much like Forks.

She had only ever met her aunt a few times, her mother would complain about her a lot, say that she was spoilt, and only cared about herself. A small part of her was willing to try out this new life with her family she dreamed she would be good friends with her cousin.

But Vera's dreams never became reality.

•••

"Come, child no dawdling around, I didn't spend hours on a flight for you to be a lazy disappointment my sister called her child." She spoke walking with her head held high ignoring most people around her like they were no better than gum on her shoes.

"You look like an awful mess." She scolded her long, pointy nails digging into my wrist, tears welling up in my eyes. She was right she did look like a mess her hair tangled and frizzy, redness under her eyes from where she had spent hours crying because of the loss of her parents.

"Are you mute, child? You have already embarrassed your family enough and now you do not speak. Pathetic is what it is." Vera did not speak only nodded and stared at the ground hoping endlessly someone would help her, tell her that it had all been a nightmare and that her parents were okay.

•••

It had been a seven-hour flight, Vera already hated her aunt and she hadn't even been with her for a day. She was mean and Vera didn't like mean people.

They had arrived at Her aunt's house, it was big and lavish. They had obviously spent a lot of money on it.

The door opened revealing a tall dark-haired man. "Welcome home Camila, my darling." He said wrapping her up in a hug. He looked down at the girl and laughed.

"Do come in I suppose, your room is upstairs on the left. Dinner at 5 don't be late, you shan't give us many more reasons to regret having you." Camila spay looking down at Vera in utter disgust.

Vera grabbed her bag and made her way upstairs and opened the door on the left, her mouth dropped it was barely a room more like a storage cupboard, there was a 'bed' if you could even call it that, it was a mattress with a blanket.

She swiftly turned around hearing small footsteps behind her. It was a tall redhead girl, she had the same scowl her aunt had and shared similar features with them, she was clearly their child.

"So you must be the orphan cousin my mother so kindly wishes to take care of, I'm not sure why she decided to let you stay. You don't seem to have a lot of purposes, some might say a useless little girl who intrudes on others' families. I assume you are as filthy as your dimwitted mother, such a shame what happened to them, I guess they were just stupid drunks who pranced around thinking they were the very best, must have deserved what happened to them." She hissed Vera walked a step closer anger filling her thoughts.

"My parents weren't Stupid drunks and they didn't deserve what happened you are a horrible girl!" She shouted at the older girl, the redhead just walked away muttering something under her breath.

Vera couldn't understand what had made them hate her so much, she hadn't ever done anything to them.

Hiii!
A little more to explain Vera's backstory.I added on the cast list (the face claims for her family)

The next few chapters will be solely about Vera and her backstory, I hope you don't mind I just thought it was all very vague and hard to understand everything at the start.

I also just wanted you guys to understand Vera and the way she is a bit more before I go straight into the book and confuse you even more.

Hope you enjoy reading, if you have any suggestions/ constructive critisism please leave it! Byeee :)