6.

Tommy stepped in the door of the Shelby household and was greeted by Grace and an open purse on the floor. Items such were strewn about-a red ribbon, a porcelain doll, and a piece of cake. He stood silently, regarding the scene unfolding in front of him. "This is a doll." Grace said gently, placing the porcelain figure into Lily's dainty yet rough hands. Lily patted the doll, testing the feeling of her fingers against its cool painted cheek. She smiled as she handled its nose, then brought her hand up to fondle her own nose. "Yes-nose! Very bright girl!" Grace clapped to herself, grinning at the sight of Lily's face lit up with joy. Tommy noticed Lily's hair was brushed and had been tamed to have two small braids in them. She even looked as if she had been washed with soap-her face was rosy and bright instead of its usual look of smudged dirt and smeared food. "Well. I see things went alright enough. Congratulations. You survived a day of the most brutal little Shelby." He said. Grace noted it sounded like he was making a joke-but his tone and the calm, cool set of his face made her think otherwise, and she quickly forced the laugh that had built up in her throat to bubble back down. "Yes. it was a difficult day to say the least-but she's clean. Polly and I bathed her and I brushed her hair. She had a bit of cake to keep her still. I hope you don't mind. I don't think her dinner will be spoiled." Grace explained shyly. Tommy dipped his head in a silent acknowledgment, before clearing his throat. "We'll see you tomorrow, then?" His blue eyes held hers. She nodded at once. "Of course, Mr. Shelby." And that was that. 

A few hours later, Lily was fighting going to bed. Polly could see she was tired, but Lily simply didn't want to go to sleep. She sighed, coming into the sitting room where Tommy was reading the paper. "That child and her will to fight sleep will be the death of me." She threw her hands in the air. Tommy laughed deeply, as he only did with his family-and even then it was rare. Polly went into the kitchen to make tea, an effort to calm her nerves. Tommy stood, making his way up the stairs, finding Lily sitting on the floor of her room, long nightgown pooling around her knobby knees and bare feet. She was suckling a finger-a trait that stuck around long after she was a toddler. It seemed to give her comfort. She stiffened when she felt footsteps and caught Tommy's scent. 

"I know. It's me." He said in a low voice to her, even though she could not hear him. He gently scooped her up under her arms, anticipating a sparring match of kicking and screaming, but only heard a squeal and felt a small flail of legs in response. "You must really be tired not to fight me off." He mumbled to himself. He usually didn't deal with such matters surrounding Lily such as bedtime, bathtime, and so on, because the women loved to do it and Lily preferred them anyway. But he knew how much Polly needed a break, and so every so often he would attempt to pitch in with such things, as would Arthur and John. He laid her in her soft bed, and when she made a grunt of frustrated protest, he gently put his hand to her chest and pushed her back down. He snuggled the covers on top of her and sat on the bed, his weight letting her know he was there, the scent of horses from the day calming her. He was surprised when she let out a small, tired sigh, as if his presence was a comfort for once, instead of a menace. At night when she was worn out, she could tolerate him better. But still-it had been years since she was so relaxed in his presence. His lips quirked up the tiniest bit, and before long she fell asleep, her chest rising and falling at an even pace. He smoothed some of her silky hair-still smooth and shiny from her wash that day.  Then he turned to leave her room, feeling his heart give way to a small twinkle of affection he didn't often feel. 

*authors note: OMG I had to add this moment between them to show that yes, affection from Tommy isn't something he often doles out, and if he does Lily usually shoves him away and doesn't want it, but sometimes he catches her in gentle spirits and...

*authors note: OMG I had to add this moment between them to show that yes, affection from Tommy isn't something he often doles out, and if he does Lily usually shoves him away and doesn't want it, but sometimes he catches her in gentle spirits and she just kind of lets her guard down and accepts him being near her.